Hornby R3783 Terrier 'Dead' - Loose Black Wire?

Stephen in Kerry

My Hornby R3847 Ruston Terrier had a problem due to a missing pickup and Hornby kindly sent me a replacement lower chassis piece. it then ran erratically, with a squeak.

After I have oiled it, the loco doesn't run at all - no motor noise, and it seems completely 'dead'. I took the body off and can see a loose black wire from the motor. There's not much bare wire at the end, so I'm not sure if it was previously attached.

Can someone please have a look at the photos and suggest where it should be attached to the decoder, if at all?

I'll have a go a re-soldering it, if that's the reason for the fault.

Thanks for any assistance.

forum_image_6263db5c1bd8a.thumb.png.7fd55a7fc4c1dc1f3e56eb48450c3efc.png

forum_image_6263db60b404e.thumb.png.eb7fdd2d529a60bdf26b19482953eb82.png

From your photo, I can’t tell. So let’s look at where all the black wires go in such a Hornby setup. There should be 4 of them running between:

• pickups on one side running to the connector pin for the decoder and will be under either the red or black decoder wire
  • pickups from the other side running to under either the black or red decoder wire, depending on the wire above
  • one motor connection and the connector pin under the orange decoder wire
  • the other motor connection and the connector pin under the grey decoder wire

So first you can look to see that both pickup sides have wires attached, then if both motor connections have wires attached. If one doesn’t, that’s where your wire needs to be soldered.

If all 4 of these points have wires, then it must have come adrift from the connector for the decoder. This will be more difficult to reattach so come back for more instructions if needed. Hopefully it’s either pickups or motor.

Given it was attached before, you shouldn’t need to lengthen the wire to reattach.

Looking at the service sheet for the old non DCC-Ready model there is a separate pickup block for each axle, these pairs of wires all feed back to connect direct to the old flat motor. I guess the newer model has similar but as Fishy says they all gather at the socket instead.

I repeat about the wire being trapped (first picture) so it is worth checking continuity with a meter to ensure it is not broken within the insulation.

Noting your comments on another forum about the ongoing problems with this loco, I would contact Hornby on the basis it was not fit for purpose when sold and request a replacement: it is not a situation in which, to my mind, you should stand the loss.

I still can’t tell from the second photo, which wasn’t there when I first replied. All I can tell from the second is that it hasn’t come away from a motor connection.

GS, are you telling us this question is only half the problem?