Hornby A1/A3 TTS Decoder used in Merchant Navy

Deem

I am quite new to DCC Sound Decoders and I am still learning about them, also I never seen a real life steam Locomotive so my knowledge is very limited or non existent.

My question is

A1/A3 Steam Locomotive TTS Decoder

Can I use them in any 4-6-2 steam locomotives or only in A1/A3?

Can I use other Loco TTS decoder in similar range IE Diesel to Diesel?

or I will have to use specific Decoder with correct sound file in with correct decoder?

For example Class 60 Diesel TTS Decoder in Class 58 or Class 66?

I have 2 Hornby A1/A3 R3284TTS and 1 Hornby A4 R3395TTS, to me they both sound identical but maybe hearing is not that good so I can't tell the difference.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards

You can use any TTS decoder you want in any loco. I guess the A3 & A4 sounds would be quite similar. I'm not sure about the Merchant Navy. Having said that, it has the same number of cylinders. I think the biggest difference might be the whistle sounds.

Where possible a loco sound file is recorded live from the class of loco, but if none are still working then Hornby has to revert to library sounds. Each loco type generally had distinctive whistles (e.g. A4 has chime and screech) and diesels have distinctive engine noise, horns and other unique noises, so to remain true to class you need the correct decoder, but if you are not that fussed then any decoder will do.

For test purposes and to save opening up yet another loco, I have had a steam decoder happily running round in an electric loco and I have a Class 67 in a Class 90, as it was the only loco with a vacant slot at the time.

Would sound quite weird if you put a steam decoder in a diesel or vice versa but otherwise you would at least have something sounding somewhat correct.

Then there are electrics for which there are no TTS currently I believe. You might be happy with a diesel in an electric but many would not be.

For test purposes and to save opening up yet another loco, I have had a steam decoder happily running round in an electric loco and I have a Class 67 in a Class 90, as it was the only loco with a vacant slot at the time.

I have recently bought an ESU Decoder Tester for that. It works well...

I said...
RPJ Allan said...
I have recently bought an ESU Decoder Tester for that. It works well...

I have a couple of ESU test rigs which are ideal for basic setup and testing of decoders including sound, but I needed locos on track with decoders that have many functions to test fairly complex programs in a software operating package. Whilst the test rig will play through the various static sequences it does not have wheels and a magnet to pass over the track sensors which trigger the next programmed event, hence the temporary odd-ball arrangement put into use.