Dead Track Section - Help Needed!

Stephen in Kerry

I have a fairly short, dead section of track between two other live sections, on my DCC layout.

The layout is bus wired, but drop wires have only been placed occasionally along the track (not for every piece).

There are only two drop wires connecting all 3 sections shown in the photo to the bus wires. So, I am assuming that they are making the live sections work, but not the section in the middle.

The dead track becomes live again where the nearest section of track in the photo joins it at the point.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue are welcome.

forum_image_62976ba8af7f1.thumb.png.ce493fff2e7e95296afb249fdec3bff6.png

Presuming the bus wiring covers the dead section, and the points clips are secure then I cannot see why it should be as it is.

Is there a change is state when you flip the point that controls the middle siding?

Do you have a tester that would indicate if the track is actually live or dead in both scenarios?

Thanks @RAF96. I've now cleaned the contact on the point where it meets the rail, and the track is live again. It seems that it was that simple (unfortunately, I'm simpler!)

I will probably add an extra dropper wire to be safe, as that section doesn't have one directly attached.

Yes, if there is no dropper to the middle section and you don't have the Hornby clips in place then that section will become disconnected when the point is switched to the left hand, (bottom in the photo) section. A dropper to the middle section will fix the problem.

Clips mentioned by Rob and BM are of course DCC Point Clips. If it is difficult to fit a dropper, then clips on that point will keep the siding live at all times and be very low risk given they would only lead to that siding.