Which Hornby TTS Decoder should I fit to the Hush Hush R3840?

Chilli-bob

There is no specific TTS decoder for the W1 yet so Hornby could not post a recommendation.

Someone may be along with a suggested alternative TTS decoder that in their opinion is a suitable match for one of the reworked variants with a standard boiler.

I initially used a P2 one as I had one spare, then on this forum someone said that they were different engine types. I eventually saved up and bought a LokSound decoder and I have to admit the sound is totally different to any of the other locos I have with TTS in, so perhaps it was worth the extra money. I will also add that normally I use Zimo sound decoders, but amazingly the LokSound one was 10% cheaper, also I had been having issues with their new type and my controller. I have since changed my controller so the issue has gone.

I don't think you will find an authentic sound file for the loco in its original 4-cylinder (2 x high pressure, 2 x low) water-tube boiler form so it is a matter of choosing one as close to the W1 as you can get: LNER locos in classes A1 (Gresley and Peppercorn), A3, A4 and P2 were 3-cylinder machines (giving only 3 exhaust beats per driving wheel revolution) but the A1, A3 and P2 probably had similar sounding whistles (the A4 had a chime whistle). Alternatively from within Hornby's currently-available TTS range, the Princess Royal was a 4-cylinder locomotive but would give the sound of an LMS Stanier whistle.

I will also add that normally I use Zimo sound decoders, but amazingly the LokSound one was 10% cheaper, also I had been having issues with their new type and my controller. I have since changed my controller so the issue has gone.

What issues were you having & what controller?

I was having issues with the latest Zimo MS range using a Fleishmann twin track controller. Not many people have one of these, looking at the circuitry I assume they were mega expensive when new. I bought mine second hand in unknown state missing leads and power supply. Nice controller though but unfortunately with the new Zimo MS range it would only drive the loco one way. I did contact Zimo but although they insisted it wasn't their new software, but by a simple case of illumination, in that it worked with all my other decoders, it was. Anyway I decided that all decoders are going to probably go that way so as I liked the look of the Digikeijs, I eventually bought one. There is a separate thread about my issues with the new Zimo sound decoders.

@Going Spare I bought my LokSound one from Road and Rails, he seems to be an expert on sound so I assumed he knew what he was doing. The sound is sort of "tinny" nothing like any of my other locos, probably more high pitched so I don't know what it is based off. It is definitely different to my Hornby A4 TTS and P2 TTS but there again the circuitry and technology are different between the two types of decoders, so who knows.

Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations, I had come to the conclusion that whichever option I go for, it will not be exact.... But as the W1 no longer exists in its original form and the last time it ran would have been in the late 1930s, the exact sound could never be matched... The Loksound offering seems to be the way forward...

Chilli-bob

• 4 months later...

Hello

Just bought used Hush Hush from eBay. I wanted to add Sound, however if I was to buy Loksound decoder with bass reflex speaker without sound it is £104.99 plus postage. If I was to upload any sound to decoder I will have to buy Lokprogrammer which is additional £139.99.

I tried to call roads and rails without any success, I was wondering if they can upload sound file to decoder before posting it to me.

Any other suggestion?

Regards

@deem

R&R state in their email flyers that they will load any sound onto a decoder purchased from them and upgrade the speaker free of charge. He must have the largest library available for range of locos.

A pity Hornby doesn’t have a similar library from where you could download sound files for all their locos onto your decoder. Might suggest that to Santa Simon, see if he could get it done by Xmas 🎅📩🎁

I originally fitted a TTS P2 one which it seems would be alright if it was the rebuilt one. I eventually bought the one from Road and Rails, they were slightly cheaper than Zimo, especially when they are doing a 5% off deal plus as 96RAF said they include a free speaker. I use their speakers for virtually all my locos so that is a plus point. The only downside is you don't get the super glossy list of commands but a printed sheet with them on. The sound is completely different to the TTS P2. I forgot to add, Road and Rails do free postage on something like this so that is another £5 or £6 you save.

I had to return the Loco because it got damaged during transit. Looking at R&R website they have W1 HUSH HUSH decoder actually cheaper at £112.99 with free upgraded speaker and free delivery.

If I bought I another one I will look into that instead of using Rebuilt Merchant Navy TTS R7141. Both (W1 and Rebuilt Merchant Navy) have very different steam setup and even cylinders don't match as the spec from Wikipedia.

Time will tell if Hornby will invest in something similar to R&R (not likely). Santa Simon maybe able to, otherwise I don't see it happening.

Time will tell if Hornby will invest in something similar to R&R (not likely). Santa Simon maybe able to, otherwise I don't see it happening.

Like all good children you will have to wait for Xmas to find out, but I wouldn’t spend all of your sound decoder money now if I was you or you may be kicking yourself later.

To whet your appetite the Merchant Navy whistle blast with full Doppler effect as it thunders past is very good. As they say other whistles are available.

That sound like you know something RAF but not sharing or forbidden to share?
We will wait anxiously what Hornby comes up with.
Regards

Correct on all counts Deem - I test their digital stuff, but obviously it is all secret squirrel. You already know they will have to produce a decent spec 21-pin sound decoder to support their 00 super-steam locos and that the TT:120 locos need Next-18 decoders and they will be sound capable, and that existing TTS is only available in 8-pin, so you work it out.

Look forward to what they will come up.

I was trying to work out a plan to save so I can buy Loksound V5 Decoder for Hush Hush from R&R but as I had to return the Loco. I was thinking to buy brand new W1 from Hornby with Club Member Dsicount but now I will wait and see what they come up with and if we get any discount offer to save money.

Regards

Just went to pickup this evening Hornby R3979 W1 Hush Hush With Double Blast Pipe. So far so good, almost if not definitely brand new. Lets hope it's easy to open to install decoder, next big project is to save money so I can buy Loksound decoder with sound from R&R.

Is it easy enough to open Tender to install Hornby Sapphire Decoder for now?

Any advice or pictures will be much appreciated.

Regards