Hornby Accessory Decoders

Brew Man

Be aware those R8247s at that price are all Version 1.0 firmware, not the latest Version 2.0 which is listed at £54.

Any update would have to be by return to works Hornby but at present they are not offering the service.

The Elite is user updateable via a PC.

There was a picture of the original box on each of the pre-owned ones. The v2.0 box (see the new £54 ones) has a big yellow Rev 2 sticker. To confirm the firmware state, you interrogate CV7 (V2.0 will return value 135).

The issue was that a bug in Select v1.1 firmware could induce an electronic flutter in the R8247 and damage it (and it still can), which is why if you have a Select with that old firmware it is advised not to use it with R8247 until the Select is updated by Hornby. The acc decoder itself was not the problem, until used in that context. The obvious symptom is it works OK until port 1 is selected then it fails until next power down. Repeated such operation can stress the unit to complete failure.

Right, so I guess as long as the Select has the latest firmware version it should be safe to use with version 1 decoders.

I'm also guessing that is the decoders are operated with an Elite there would be no issue at all.

Correct on all points BM.

V1.0 PADs are fine for basic use but if you want the extended (and complicated) additional features then you need V2.0. I updated all mine as part of the test program, even though I only use them to fire solenoids and light signals in basic mode for now. The extended features may come into play if I want to use some fancy routing or cascade firing, flashing lights, etc later on.

I'm sure the decoders offer various advantages concerning functionality, but there were two main reasons why I didn't go for them.

1. It's a very expensive way of controlling points, signals etc. especially if you have a lot of them.
  2. I like the analogue touch - y'know, pulling levers, pressing buttons and all that. I'll be buying a station master's hat next joy thinking_face

I've had enough of computers after being married to them for 30 years. I use them now for every day tasks like this, so for me analogue accessory control is a blessing. I draw the line at DCC though, that is a must.