Limited editions

Tony-1249448

The catalogue number is R30221.

Hornby simply say it is a Limited Edition model without specifying a quantity and from a review video recently posted on YouTube by forum member JJ, there does not appear to be a numbered certificate issued with each loco so the production quantity is probably known only to Hornby.

Well if there’s no certificate then the Ltd Ed is superfluous in the case of numbers. highly likely to be the standard run which is anywhere 2500 to 5000 models. And knowing Hornby if they all sell out expect a second run later in the year.

but the livery and box design is not going to be used on any other model so it’s a Ltd Ed in that way.

the pity is if you wanted the correct 4 f used in the Railway Children, then it’s the Bachmann model which is the correct MR built locomotive. Where’s Hornby is the LMS built Loco.

@Tony

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Certificate or not, many Limited Editions, rarely increase much in value. I have 501 Squadron which was a Ltd Ed for Beatties and I would be lucky to get £50-£60 for it, unrun, boxed as new. The ones to watch out for are those that are not popular. The recent Clans and even better the earlier Clans tend to hold their value and in some cases increase in value, even used. There are other examples but all value will crash when Hornby or whoever brings out the same loco slightly revamped. I remember the old HD full red BRMk1 fetching over £25 at the demise of HD in Liverpool. Then Mr Hatton (Norman) found he had hundreds of them and forgotten about them. They went on sale at £1 to shift them. That took the wind out of that one at the time.Some of my Dublo stock was fetching fantastic prices in the 70's and now it's worth much less. Limited editions face the same fate. They should be called "Ltd Production as we have to feel the water first locos" That happened with the Coronation Pacific, "Sir William A Stanier FRS" that sold out before it ever got to the shops.

I agree with Vespa I sold a lot of my tender driven locos from the 80's on EBay a couple were limited edition models. They didn't fetch much more than the others. It seems a limited edition model is worth most a few weeks after all the model shops have run out of them. The ones I have noticed that do seem to retain their value are the West Country and Battle of Britain locos in unbuilt form. In Hornby and Wrenn form they always seem to fetch a lot of money. Even the bits are expensive, why I do not know, they must be the simplest in valve gear and the square body. I buy locos because I like them, so if I make money when I sell them (which I rarely do) it is a bonus.

There are also "Special Editions". Is there a difference?

The most recent one that I can find is R3336, Flying Scotsman. Introduced in 2015, it is based on F.S. as was displayed at the N.R.M. at that time.

Do you always get a certificate with a Special Edition?

@Vespa

I too had the limited edition of 501 from beatties unopened and with certificate sold it on eBay about 3 years ago got about £65 couple of weeks later saw it on eBay from the fella who purchased it he got even less.Many years ago I purchased a used Ltd edition of dwight d eisenhower of 250 paid £450 sold it on eBay two years ago for £150 ouch lesson learned

John

@Sir john that is why I said buy ones you like and use them. I bought the 3 Hornby Dublo releases last year mainly because I liked the look of them and wanted basically an updated Wrenn. They weren't much more expensive than the price Hornby charge for the same loco with a plastic body now. I bought them because I liked them. It is like the Jubilee loco, when it comes out (if it ever does), there will so many on EBay that it will be interesting to see what they sell for. In a couple of years it will be like the black Britannia. Most businesses have their product ready for the actual date before people forget.