Where can I obtain a Hornby R8266 cable?

Graham-1240419

I have been looking everywhere for a genuine Hornby R8266 RJ12 cable for connecting a Select to an Elite as a "walkabout" controller.

Everywhere I look, it's out of stock - and doesn't even appear under the search on Hornby's own site.

It's a pretty poor show when an essential item appears not to exist. I have found a RJ12 cable amongst a box of miscellaneous cables and it appears to work after a fashion - but the controller keeps thwowing errors, so it is probably the cable at fault. So I would like to obtain the genuine article.

If anyone has one spare - or knows of an approved supplier, it would be much appreciated.

Well when I did a Google search on RJ12 EBay had them so I assume Amazon has them. What I don't know is whether Hornby did anything special to the cable, I let one of the other guys answer that. Looking at the web it is basically a telephone cable, so I imagine with any cable there are good quality ones and bad ones.

I have found this to be a reliable working alternative.

forum_image_62e537afc2a6c.png.0d696b829198c049ec3b4991e2968b54.png

It is a 4-wire twisted pair cable with an RJ12 plug which will fit the RJ12 socket on the Select/Elite. This wire configuration is what the Select walk-about cable requires. The flat section Boost cable R8236 is a 6-wire cable and the outer wires are the trouble makers, when that original walk-about cable was used before investigation proved the mutual interference.

Should you wish to make your own RJ12 walkabout cable it is possible with a 4-wire or 6-wire cable. With the 6-wire cable just trim or fold back the outer wires so they are out of use. This picture shows a flat cable for illustrative purposes, but twisted pair cable is usually round section like the R8266.

You can buy ready-made cables of any length on the internet.

forum_image_62e537b1603ea.png.240ecefea129af8491b86dd06dcb1b5a.png

• 2 weeks later...