Hornby DCC decoder won't reprogram

ColinB

I recently bought a badly damaged loco that came with a Hornby DCC decoder. I managed to rebuild the loco and surprisingly it ran with the supplied Hornby decoder (they are normally broken). I have come to the point now where I want to put a proper address in it. Sadly the the reprogramming never works and I cannot read out anything from the decoder, address, manufacturer id. I have done the reset of the decoder but still it does not reprogram or read anything from the device. It will happily work with its default id of 3. I am using an Elite to do the programming and I know that it works as I have just done a program on a Zimo decoder. I have tried it in the loco and my DCC tester, it doesn't program in either. Did I read on this site that some early versions of the Hornby decoder suffered from this issue?

That would explain a lot, I will try putting a 2 digit code into it. I was going to keep it for testing locos anyway but I was just surprised it didn't read back any values. The loco it came with was an early DCC version so that may explain it.

Thank you for the information.

Does it have a paint dot on the MCU. Red, white, blue and if blue a big dot or a smaller dot in the corner. I can tell from that exactly which revision it is and what other ‘foibles’ it might have.

Thanks 96RAF, I programmed it with an address so that is all I needed to do. The only thing I might need to do is reverse the direction, but rather than setting the CV, I will just turn the wires round. I am only using it as it was free with the broken loco. Anyway thank you for the help.