horby E link not working on windows 11

BADWOLF525

hi i have bought an e link & railmaster i canot get it to run i have tryed changing the com ports to diffent one to no end i have tryed everthing i can think of plus i have allso bought 48SD 040 and flat bed No GR5090 & a six pin decoder but upon opening it there seeems to be a PCB in there do i haver to fit the decoder to that or is the pcb in loco a DCC decoder as i serspcet so if it is where do i get the info from to add it to railmaster am rather new to this so any help would be good its cost me a lot and am at my wits end with it lol thanks

Hi Mark, can I start by confirming that eLink and RM work with Windows 11 so fixing your problem is not impossible.

All of the info you need is in the Railmaster and Trackmaster forum rather than the DCC forum. Go to this forum and lookup the FAQ sticky thread. Then please follow exactly all of FAQ1 which should get your RM up and running. Then FAQ2 covers adding a loco to your RM roster.

I’ll let someone else come back on your decoder installation. For me, there is not enough info to understand your current installation and PCBs. Photos would help.

Service sheet 447 shows at Item 6 the blanking plug that is provided with the loco to allow it to run on a DC layout. This must be replaced by a four pin decoder before the loco is even placed on a DCC track, else you risk burning out the motor. There are pictures of a 48DS on the forum with a decoder fitted and a search should find them, although from memory it is a bit of a tight fit.

With hindsight you would have been better posting as separate questions in the appropriate forums to get better focus and feedback from the membership.

Q1 in the DCC forum about fitting a decoder to the 48DS and Q2 in the Railmaster forum about getting the eLink up and running on Win 11. In fact there is a similar question to yours on there now about registration.

Service sheet 447 shows at Item 6 the blanking plug that is provided with the loco to allow it to run on a DC layout. This must be replaced by a four pin decoder before the loco is even placed on a DCC track, else you risk burning out the motor. There are pictures of a 48DS on the forum with a decoder fitted and a search should find them, although from memory it is a bit of a tight fit.
With hindsight you would have been better posting as separate questions in the appropriate forums to get better focus and feedback from the membership.
Q1 in the DCC forum about fitting a decoder to the 48DS and Q2 in the Railmaster forum about getting the eLink up and running on Win 11. In fact there is a similar question to yours on there now about registration.
thanks guys could you please post the links to this info i am kida dissharten as i spend all day trying to get this to work yestoday thanks for you input

thanks guys i have tried all of the fact page with not much looking at this point am kinda fed up with it and want to put it in the bin massive wast of money and was a birthday treat i think hornby need to sort out there softwhere problems no one want to be keep messing about with problems i have even emailed tech serport i have even tried to modify the RM settings but thay all as the FAQ says they shuld be its all so seeing the com port its on and the settings in DM are the same as RM it wont even acctivate with the code so as you can see am not haveing much luck moving into DDC

i can give contact inif if somone is willing to other than that the only thing to do is buy the sclect

Please do not take any of the following the wrong way but there are certain things you need to get a handle on...

For starters you used the dreaded blue button to reply so your response is lost within the quote. I suggest you start by reading the sticky post in the General Discussion about how to use the forum. To reply just scroll down the page and type in the empty box, then use the green button to reply. Every noobie does it so you are not alone.

You cannot post personal contact details on the forum. Please read the Rules.

Then as it is not clear what you are asking for links to be posted about that you split your query into two questions.

Post the question about getting eLink and RM to work in the Trackmaster and Railmaster section of the forum and post your question about making the 48DS into a DCC loco in this the DCC section.

The reasons being that certain folk only look in the sections of the forum they are interested in so you will get more answers from them if your questions are posted in the right place.

Service sheets are found in the Support area of the main Hornby web site. You run down the list until you find sheet 447. You should also have had a Maintenance sheet with your loco which shows how to get the body off and where the decoder socket is. You should read that also.

At the top of each forum section are Sticky Posts which stay at the top of page and contain very helpful stuff much of it in the way of FAQs which you should also trawl through.

This may seem like a lot to do and nothing like helping with your problem but until you know your way round the forum and where information is to be found you will rely upon being spoon fed and members tend to shy away from that after the umpteenth time of doing it.

As I understand it you have sorted the eLink talking to RM and you have activated the key code, so you are well on the way.

Now you need to fit a decoder to the 48DS, give it a unique address and list it in the RM roster before you can operate it. Just follow the instructions and it will happen.

Remember 100% of finger trouble is down to operator error.

i did have it working i keep on having to change the com port settings and uninstall the device and plug it back in again ......

If you copy the text contents of your "railmaster.ini" file and post it in this thread, the forum members on here can look at it and see if it needs a modification to provide a more consistent elink connection. Your described issue is usually fixed by a manual modification edit to the .ini file.

Are you by chance plugging it into a different USB each time, say setting it all up for a session or is it all left plugged in permanently. Windows can sometimes pick and choose which com port it allocates so best to look in dev mgr properties and see if something else is trying to use the port. Generally it is best to grab port 3 or 4 from the drop down list for use by RM.

As previously advised this part of the question would be better off in the RM forum.

this is a copy of the RM FILE maybe some one can see if there is somthing up thanks again

Tipper speed=80

Tipper timer=86.4

Turntable speed=40

Turntable timer=23.56

Points timer=0.75

Conveyor speed=65

TCP start port=30

Double pulse=0

Check serial ports=1

Show upgrade button=1

Allow deactivate=1

Use default curves=1

Polling time=5

Confirm delete=1

Classic buttons=0

Show point indicators=1

Uncoupler time=5

Detection Timeout=5

Button bar vertical=0

Throttle timer=5

Handheld plan area=1,1,135,135

Program tick sound=1

PING time=60

Reset eLink on start=0

Enable mouse=0

Warn static IP=1

Load Hornby Locos=1

Load Jouef Locos=0

Load Rivarossi Locos=0

Load Electrotren Locos=0

Load Arnold Locos=0

Load Bassett-Lowke Locos=0

Point button arrows=1

Spoken confirmation=0

Controllers on top=1

Double pulse=0

Alternative Comms2=0

Check controller2=0

Elite feedback=0

Full controllers=0

Show animations=1

Expand plan=0

Alternative Comms=1

Check controller=1

Can I refer you back to my post at the start of this thread - you can check yourself the critical ini file entries and their order in FAQ1 in the FAQ Index at the top of the RM forum. Again, please make sure you have followed everything in FAQ1 exactly as stated.

And if you need to post your ini file contents again, could you please use Shift Enter instead of Enter between the lines so you don’t get a blank line between entries.