Hornby R2355 Q1 Sound Decoder availbility

Deem

Hello

I fixed my Class Q1 with new wheels and Valve Gear, it is running in both (DC - DCC) mode and I have been looking to install Sound decoder.

Questions?

What is the correct part number for Hornby Class Q1 decoder?

If that Decoder is not available, what's the closest Hornby Decoder I can use which sound and function with 8 pins.

Regards

Hornby do not make a sound decoder for the Q1. For normal DCC operation the loco will accept any make of 8-pin decoder - my Q1 has a TCS DP2X-UK and it works well.

If you want sound you will have to contact one of the many companies selling Sound decoders - if you Google "Hornby Q1 Sound Decoder" it will list several sources. There is a lot of room for the decoder and speaker - so an easy fit.

I think I have said this before but why is it that when Hornby put a new loco into their range or upgrade an old one, they don't produce a suitable TTS decoder. We all know that TTS decoders are the same hardware it is just the software that differs with a specific loaded sound map. Yes, I know they have to do a run of so many but it might be a more logical way to market them. I don't think they ever did a Q1 one. The other thing is seeing as they design the mechanism if they did a bit of system engineering they could even get the "chuff rate" right.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I will look into 2 cylinder locomotive but as my knowledge is almost non existing, I was hoping some one from this forum would have installed a TTS into Class Q1 or something equivalent which is cheap compare to some of the decoders I have seen online around £125.00. That's out of my budget.

Regards

Perhaps 98RAF can advise me, but if it as easy as it looked on the Hornby program, perhaps Hornby should be looking to supply them blank to their Retailers and let them program it. Lets face it that is what Zimo and Loksound do. It has got to be a cheap way to make money.

Deem, two things to consider when using the ‘wrong’ TTS decoder in a loco - the number of cylinders and the sound of the whistle. Example, an A4 chime whistle ain’t gonna sound right on a GWR Hall class.

I found the simplest way was to look up the class of loco on Wikipedia - the technical data will confirm the number of cylinders. Do the same with the available decoders and sort them by cylinders and operating company.

Then try to match a decoder with the same cylinders and maybe a geographical origin and you are halfway there.

For what it is worth, my go to decoder for a generic two cylinder is the one for the J36. Only you can decide if the whistle is right.

Once you have compiled your short list search for the real life locos running on youtube and compare the sounds. If the Q1 sounds as odd as it looks then you may struggle to find a match.

@Colin - setting up N-number of dealers with the programming kit and training them to use it is a non starter in terms of earning money. It is best done on a production line by the thousands.

It is cheaper to do it on a production line but then you have the issue of you have to make a lot and I doubt even on the production line they have special equipment to do it as Hornby don't make enough. It is not going to happen so it is an academic argument. I imagine they are reprogrammable as we stopped using one time programmable years ago, although these are old.

As I keep saying Colin TTS are WORM at least for the sound file side. Write once - read many. The main decoder firmware is updatable else we wouldn't have been able to over-write to correct that uni-directional bug.

Thanks SteveM6, Colin B and 96RAF.

I will try to compile a list and maybe able to match the sound to either J36 or something more closer. Once I have it done hopefully I will share it for others to benefit.

Regards

Deem, you’re welcome. The question is whether it sounds right to you rather than right for a ‘rivet counter’.

As I said get the cylinders and region right and it should keep you happy.

For what it is worth you can also influence the sound by choice of speaker. Many replace the standard speaker with a sugarcube. Subject to space different sizes of speaker will produce different tones, as will placement in the loco. For example I fitted a J36 decoder to a Bachmann Atlantic with a larger resonance box and its a completely different beast from the J36 loco.

And remember ‘rule 1’, it’s your Railway and you can run anything you like.

This is the Link for Maude J36 Hornby TTS decoder.

https://uk.hornby.com/products/tts-sound-decoder-j36-class-r7239?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpvrV_IPP-gIVFOvtCh17oALvEAQYAiABEgJ3QfD_BwE

Average price is around £45.99 plus postage and listening at you tube - SR Q1 and Maude J36 they sound quite similar to me but wouldn't mind the opinion of some other user who have better hearing than me.

eBay item Number: 155122930883 for sale at £46.68.

Install the decoder and all seem to be ok. I will compare the youtube Class Q1 sound video and my loco running with J36 Maude decoder.

Only issue I can see is I will have to change the speaker as I don't like, personally running 2 wire from Loco to tender, 1 I am not good at drilling or making amend to loco and 2 I notice the iphone speaker or other cube speakers sound better compare to original speaker.

I just hope I find small enough speaker which will fit along with decoder in Class Q1 body.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Received the cube speaker form Rails and Roads and I blew my first TTS Decoder (Hornby J36 Maude which I was trying to install in Class Q1) while testing the Loco with this speaker, I forgot to use sleeve or insulation to protect either decoder or speaker and they touched each other while I was trying to test.

Decoder still works but sound function is not working. Is there anything I can do?

Regards

Unfortunately Deem you are learning like I did. I blew up several decoders and TTS trying to squeeze them into loco bodies. There are two many wires to get trapped. That is why where possible I try and fit a later tender base so I can update the loco so that the decoder is in the tender, sadly with this one I think the later tender base (if you can get one) won't fit the earlier tender top. I also found you have to be very careful sleeving Hornby decoders, because they need air over them to cool. So it has to be a loose fitting sleeve. Fortunately Hornby give you that no faults guarantee for the first year, so get a returns number off Hornby and return it.

If a reset of value 5 to CV8 has no effect and reattaching the original speaker to prove the other speaker is at fault or not doesn’t give sound either then I guess you blew the sound amplifier, so a warranty replacement claim is in order.

Thanks again everyone for your input, ColinB I learned the hard way but I am going to try my best to be as cautious as possible.

96RAF I will try to reset and see if that solved the issue.

Fishmanoz, Even the warranty paper state:

"However, if within the first year of purchase your decoder fail to function, even if the damage is accidental Hornby will repair or replace the decoder without charge"

I will call them tomorrow to see if I can have return number so I can post the decoder, maybe get it repaired or replaced.

Regards