New Flying Scotsman not working (on DCC track)

Thomas -776561

As MM says, everything you have stated points to the loco being 'DCC Ready'.

A 'DCC Ready' loco IS NOT suitable for placing on a DCC powered track as that can burn out the motor caused by the buzzing. DCC Ready locos are Analogue until a DCC decoder is fitted. Newbies can in many documented forum cases incorrectly think that the 'blanking plate' is a decoder. The 'blanking plate' is a small PCB that is fitted to the decoder socket to provide DC power 'pass through' from track to motor to allow Analogue (not Digital) operation. The 'blanking plate' is removed and replaced with a DCC decoder to convert it to full Digital DCC. Thus a 'DCC Ready' loco is only Ready for conversion to DCC operation.

Thomas, as my learned friends say, no chip. Very easy mistake to make, as many have in the past. Box either says DCC Ready, or DCC fitted. If buying from eBay etc, Make a point of asking what number is allocated to the chip. 03, is how they all come,new. What number did you call up on controller.

Thanks to all for the support - that was an easy fix!

The next one is that the locos stop on a couple of the points. I have followed as best I can the forum, checking the points are flat, clean, properly pinned to the board, digital clips correctly installed, etc. Nothing changed. It is the same for 0-6-0 locos and the now working Flying Scotsman. I also saw that there were some faulty points supplied some time ago, but I have a mix of completely new (shipped last week) and others bought a year or two ago. BTW, everything that I have was bought on-line direct from Hornby. Suggestions?

The faulty points will short upon a selection, but shouldn’t stop locos running if they are not shorted at the time. Test them per the FAQ.

The std fix is to fit a stay-alive if possible once such things as B2B, clean wheels and correctly adjusted pickup wipers have been sorted.

I have a Bachmann Jinty that would stop on Hornby points due to the moulded springs grounding and lifting a driver off track. A severe talking to with a large file sorted out that problem.