Point motor R8243 and point decoder R8247

Lynrob

Hi am using Hornby Elite R8214, and a Point and Accessory Decoder R8247 and Point motor R8243 and unfortunately its not working I have checked the connections and all ok, do I have the Red Black and Green cables from the Point motor connected right. Green to - . Black to c. Red to +. If anyone can help would be greatfull, or any thing you can sujest apart from thowing it all out the window. Thank you Regards Lynrob

The red black green colour scheme is correct so it is probably an installation issue.

The R8423 is flimsy and bends easily under pressure. If bent, the internal moving metal parts stick and prevent operation. The R8243 can become bent in some of these following situations.

The most common one is over tightening the mounting screws. The screws should be done up just enough to hold the R8243 in place but be lose enough to also allow slight movement under finger pressure manipulation. So slacken off the screws and test again.

Another reason is if the R8243 is not mounted completely level, or level with the height of the track. For example if the R8243 is fitted AFTER ballasting. Some members have had to raise the R8243 up on plastic shims to make them level with the track if using under track foam type ballast. The shim thickness being equal to the ballast layer thickness. Or remove ballast from under the R8243 if the ballast is lose ballast glued with PVA and installed before the R8243. The aim is to not put any bending strain on the moving motor operating lever so that the lever is level with the point tie bar pin.

Thirdly, physical alignment. The R8243 has to be exactly parallel to the track point and not at an angle.

Question: Although not operating, can you hear any physical noises that might indicate that the R8243 is at least trying to move. If it is totally silent, then maybe your R8247 is not configured (or being operated) correctly. If you connect a 12 volt car bulb across an unwired output of the R8247 on + and C or - and C and issue the appropriate command from the Elite for the R8247 port being tested, you should see the bulb flash. If it flashes, then you know the DCC configuration side of things is correct.

I would check the motor clicks both ways when it is connected but not screwed down at all. That would tell you if the port addressing is correct and the electrical wiring is working, then you can get on with the physical installation.

If the electrical side is OK make sure the point tie bar moves freely else the little motor will struggle to move it.

Yes I agree, a much better testing method than my bulb suggestion. Ideal for easily removed R8243s but not so practical for fitted underboard R8014s.

Since my original reply above, I have noticed that the OP has also posted a recent thread relating to configuring R8247 issues. So DCC configuring and operation errors might possibly be likely.

Thanks every one. Have used the car light bulb test and no power there is no noise at the motor so its a programming problem. Will start again from scratch, all the wires are connected and using a programming track and trying to follow the help everyone has given me and the instruction book and updated instructions from Hornby. Think as we get older this digital stuff is more difficult, my first train was wind up, it marvellous to have a train that sounds like a train and whistles as well, even a Vent Van that sends out the sounds of many things, fantastic. Will keep trying Regards Lynrob

In that recent post P-H it was suggested that the acc decoder be tested out of the box on default addressing with a motor as initial proving.

It is possible that the factory default configuration has been corrupted when Lynrob tried to re-program it.

I suggest Lynrob, that you write a value of 8 to CV8. This will factory reset the R8247 and then test again using port addresses 1 to 4 which they now should be if your 'reset' has been successful.

If you stated what firmware revision your Elite is (displays on screen as the Elite is powered up), then someone might be willing to give you step by step (press button this, press button that) guidance on how to write to CV8 and and send operate point commands.

If you should try again using the printed manual, note this. Where the manual says rotate knob to a certain value then press it to set the value. Be aware that if you place your finger resting on the edge of the knob to press it with your hand horizontally level with it and resting on the Elite case, it is possible to accidentally rotate the knob a little bit and change the value being written. When pressing the knob, hold your hand clear of the Elite above the knob and extend the finger down vertically to press the knob in its centre (not the edge) and be careful not to rotate it. Personally I've never had this rotation error happening to me, but forum member ColinB says it regularly happens with him.

In Ethans case (resolved after a long investigation on FB) the controller is a Select at v1.1 and the bug in that revision has likely damaged the R8247, so I have advised that the case is referred to Customer Services to get the Select updated and the possibility of a replacement acc decoder.

Do not let that issue cloud the waters in this case of an Elite, unless the R8247 was second hand and faulty, in which case Lynrob should try resetting the acc decoder to default by writing value 8 to CV8 then connect a motor to any port except port 1, then try to operate point 2, 3 or 4 only depending on where the motor is connected.

If that works, then operate port 1 and if the acc decoder is faulty it will fail to work on any port until reset again.

One other thing is that once programmed the acc decoder has then to be connected to the Track output to operate. It will not work from the Prog output, only program.

Hi All thanks for the replies to my problems have tried the car light bulb test and getting power to the Point Decoder R8243 but no power coming out of the connection number 1 when operated with the Hornby Elite. So guessing there is a programming problem, will try to work thaytm out over the weekend, havent been feeling the best so not been doing much to the track. Hope you all have a good weekend Regards Lynrob

@lynrob

Lets not get confused . . .

R8243 is the little black point motor.

R8247 is the accessory decoder with all the ports to connect to.

On the Prog output of the Elite there is a very low power signal for programming purposes only.

Once connected back to the Track output of the Elite there is only a brief pulse from the port as it fires and this is unlikely to light your car bulb, a small bulb maybe but not a larger one.

Try the method I outlined in my previous post about using port 2, 3 or 4 after a reset.

Thanks again everyone. This morning I connected the Point decoder to the programming track and once more went through the instructions on page 1 of the leaflet that came with the decoder for the I do not know how many times, set it back on to the main track and walah it worked, could not believe it. Will now try to name that number 1 turnout. Thank you so much for all your help, take care regards Lynrob