RailMaster product key reset error

So, I have previously installed RailMaster on an old pc and have chucked it away. I have revisited my DCC railway and so I am trying to install RailMaster on my new laptop. It says that I have already used this product key before and need to reset it, I clicked on the tick and filled out the reset form, but it is saying that I need to enter a 'valid email address'.

forum_image_637a4fe5dee18.thumb.png.be56ff789979464eae3f4d1c592aa519.png

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Benjamin.

Hi Benjamin

It sounds to me that the email address required, is the one that you used to register RailMaster originally. This will enable RM to ensure they are communicating with the original purchaser of RM. This would be the preferred method of a reset.

Failing that, usually an email to RailMaster support, explaining exactly what has happened, allows them to reset your RailMaster.

Use this address: support@rail-master.com

To be valid the email address must be the same one that you used to initially register RM on your old PC, else HRMS will not know that the you now is the you then as you could be anyone claiming to need to swap your licence over. The reason being the licence is not transferable and could be second hand.

If all else fails then email HRMS direct from that email and tell them you need to reset.

Edit - RDS typing at the same time I was.

Your original registering data including the email address you used are stored in a text file named activate.dat.

Not that this info is much use to you if the old PC is totally beyond getting back from wherever you sent it. If you removed the original HDD and still have access to it (or perhaps a stored back-up), then you could connect it via a USB caddy interface and read the activate.dat file in Windows notepad. Better still, copy the file if you have it into your new RM program folder and the form will automatically become populated with all the correct information without having to enter it manually.

I would also chose a different reason for the request in the selection box. You have chosen the "reinstalling Windows reason". This infers to HRMS that it is still the same PC hardware, which in your case it isn't. The original registration would have logged your original PC Motherboard serial number against your RM license. Therefore, you may have more success choosing the "new PC or Motherboard failed" option (can't remember which one of these two options are available), because this triggers the registration process to overwrite their database with the new PC hardware serial number.

P.S. RM is one of the most aggressively policed against 'passing on to another user' piece of software I have ever come across.

HRMS Hornby RailMaster Support are a software contractor that develops and supports RM software, they are not part of Hornby Hobbies.