Lidl Airfix

Topcat_Ern

50 minutes ago, Paul-375833 said:

I only bought what I would foreseeably build, two Moths and a Jeep, not wanting to be greedy.  I expect at least half of the kits sold will be on ebay next week for £11.99 plus postage.  Seems odd of Lidl to sell these just as the schools are going back rather than at the start of the holidays.

I was surprised that the Moth is a new tooling.  One of the old tooled kits was the first I built when getting back into the hobby just a few years ago, complete with 'quick drying acrylic paint' that's virtually transparent.  10 coats later....

IMG_0469.thumb.jpg.96cd7e591aee931c9aa2ade1d2def8c5.jpg

Looks like you have made a great job of what I remember was a poor kit. 
Thank goodness Airfix updated it. 

5 hours ago, Paul-375833 said:

I was surprised that the Moth is a new tooling.  One of the old tooled kits was the first I built when getting back into the hobby just a few years ago, complete with 'quick drying acrylic paint' that's virtually transparent.  10 coats later....

The acrylic paint pots given out with starter kits really are dire aren't they. Very difficult to achieve good coverage by brush, especially with white or yellow. They could do with being improved because they could put off for life someone new to the hobby.

Still, the Moth turned out OK.

Edited by jopres57
  • Sad 1

The only time I ever finished a model overall in paint pot acrylic was a Red Arrows Gnat. After five coats it still didn't look 100%. I have to admit that, as a brush painter,  I still prefer the old oil based paints, but they seem to be harder to find and worse quality these days.