Flex Track

TT-Man

I'll be using the Peco TT:120 code 55 flex track and Unifrog pointwork for an actual layout when I get around to it. I already have a few lengths and a couple of points to play with (actually to see how well the old TT3 stuff would run on it if I wanted to do that, and yes it does with a little bit of back-to-back adjustment :) )

I am currently trying to decide whose track to go with for my layout between Hornby, Peco and Tillig. Although it would be possible to use more than one.

As my layout plan calls for upwards of 80 points of various types cost is an issue. Hornby's two available points are remarkably inexpensive at approximately half the price of the competition (albeit with dead frogs). There are some large sections (two hidden storage yards and return loops) of my plan that could be constructed using the two available Hornby points and flex track. And these are the sections of the layout that will get built first being the lowest levels. But if Hornby flex track won’t be available in the foreseeable future I may have to look elsewhere (technically I could use individual pieces but that would be messy given the lengths involved).

Tillig are the only one of the three that currently have a full range of track elements. I have some samples ordered which should arrive this week. My lower level benchwork won’t be completed until January, so by then hopefully I will have some Hornby track to compare, before making a final decision. It may be that there is a good fit between the Hornby points and the Tillig flextrack.

Here is a link to old Tri-ang running on new Peco 120 track. As you can see the wheel backs have been skimmed.

I do not alter the back to back as that prevents them running on Tri-ang curves which I still use on a layout.

If you do not want to alter the wheels at all then you can modify the check rail as per H0m pointwork.

Garry

I'll be using the Peco TT:120 code 55 flex track and Unifrog pointwork for an actual layout when I get around to it. I already have a few lengths and a couple of points to play with (actually to see how well the old TT3 stuff would run on it if I wanted to do that, and yes it does with a little bit of back-to-back adjustment :) )

And me, though I will use the Hornby track for the fiddle yard!

Hornby flexi track will be available in phase 4. Hope this helps. Frey

Thanks. That's good to know.

I've worked out that the sources I would buy from, come in at these prices per metre:

Hornby 166mm track sections = £12.75

Tillig 664mm flex track = £10.30

Peco 914mm flex track = £4.56

Peco the winner by a huge margin.

What are the chances of getting Peco flex to marry to Hornby points and run smoothly? This would just be for hidden storage and loops etc. (i.e. non-visible parts of the layout).

Hornby Point £6.79

Tillig equivalent geometry Point £16.19

Peco longer point £15.25