£1870 for OO Gauge Train set

Deem

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worth a try I suppose. Many seem to have more money than sense, and don't even research, or simply 'must have' really very average items at ridiculously inflated prices!!

Limited edition of 1,000? Not that limited when most 'issues' are 2-5,000 units.

What would it have cost when new, £250-300 list price?

Al.

For those marveling at the asking price on eBay, take a look at this Lionel Three Rail O Scale Amtrak Acela set.

To make it a complete train, Lionel has the manufacturers LIST price set at ~$3500 or about £2900, not including shipping.

Jump to 5:25 to hear Eric describe the price. Not an eBay ask, it is Lionel's factory price.

÷÷÷÷÷

I'm not going to fire up my laptop, set a bookmark to the video, copy the bookmark and paste it here. If you cannot make the link work by highlight and right click, then search Eric's Trains on youTube. He released this review in mid December.

Every time I hear complaints of how expensive some Hornby models are, I think of the Lionel models I've seen. I smile to myself and think of the prices Lionel clearly get. Vision line Lionel Locomotives are $1600 (£1325) and up. So 4× the price of Hornby Dublo or Steam Generator. Hornby locomotives are an absolute bargain, even with ROW shipping!!

Bee

Well whoever listed it hasn't sold it, it is being relisted. To me at a maximum it is worth about £500 ( £300 for the loco plus £200 for the carriages ) at the most. Usually the best guide is if the item goes to auction then you see its true value.

I await some of my work colleagues seeing this and asking me again how much their “family heirloom’ Dublo N2 or Triang Hornby Flying Scotsman set is worth and then question my experience when I tel them it’s way below ‘what someone has one on eBay for”.

EBay is full of nonsense prices and unfortunately (or not, depending if you are selling) people who are willing to pay them even when you can go in a shop and buy a new one for a fraction of the price, or even just buy a different one on eBay even cheaper without leaving the house.

I remember the 70's when Hornby Dublo fetched high prices. A Dorchester with box could get £450 also the E3002 at a similar price. Work that at todays prices and it would be £ks. I remember Norman Hatton putting things away for me that I was trying to get. He offered me a 6 wheel Stove Brake van at £110 which I declined. The full brake Mk1's were fetching up to £30 until he found a few hundred of them in storage and the price dropped to £1 as there were so many. I will sell my Hornby Dublo 3 Rail (genuine via the factory and Eames of Reading) for £5000 if there are any takers (inc box)

eBay is a place one seller can sell same item or similar condition item (more accurately) with price difference up to triple or quadruple time compare to other seller.

That's just a luck or buyer aren't doing their home work, for example number of time I have seen used things going for more, than brand new you can pick from shop cheaper.

For example I just bought Hornby Loco with TTS from Hornby for £120.99 minus 10% discount. But I have seen same loco without TTS on eBay for around £90.00 plus postage.

I think (I could be wrong) generally public think eBay is cheaper compare to shops or online retailer, which some time correct, but some some time incorrect.

Well Deem EBay used to be cheap, but as it became popular the prices began to rise. Frequently a brand new loco is cheaper on the web than EBay especially when you have certain retailers always doing deals. Sometimes you are lucky and you find someone that has bought one and just wants to get rid of it, so the price is reasonable. I buy a lot of Hornby spare parts off EBay, again you need to check the web as well. There is one guy on EBay that sells Hornby parts at horrendously high prices, you can always tell it is him as the photos are always taken in front of those same curtains. I suppose he eventually sells something it someone is desperate. I compare EBay as going round an Autojumble (I say that as I used to go to a lot). There are stalls where Sellers sell stuff at high inflated prices (second "Snap On" tools for virtually the same price as new ones), you just look but never buy.

Ebay - buyer and seller beware ... !

I've just sold a few items, and as usual, have also been hit by some quite 'generous' additional charges - all were made clear at the time of posting, so not complaining, just making the point I suppose that some may be wanting to cover some of the 'additional charges'.

Many, as highlighted by the opening post, are frankly ridiculous, not even speculative.

Al.

My lord, he has two up, VSOE & The Master Cutler. Look at the postage cost too. Hand delivered by (insert your choice of supermodel here) in a Rolls Royce with a night out thrown in? These sets would top out at about £400 in my opinion. I think they will be there for a very long time unless he takes a reality pill.

I doubt he will, the guy with the curtains still maintains his prices even though some of his items have been there for years. I suppose if you are charging those high prices then you have to send it Special Delivery, but there again I have been charged Special Delivery prices only to find they sent it second class.