1/72 Spitfire Mk I to Mk II

SD45elect2000

There's very little external difference between the Mk I and II, all you really need is the little Coffman starter bulge that was fitted aft of the spinner on the starboard removable engine cowling. I think usually they were fitted with a DH prop. Both these components were added to the Mk I/II kit A02010 released in 2011. It also included the two blades Watts prop and 'flat' canopy for an early Mk I.

Hi randal

There wasn't much difference in them the MKI was built at southhampton and the MKII was built at the new Castle Bromwich site and had the more powerful Merlin XII engine installed and could use either de Havilland or rotol propellers

Late MKI spitfires had new jettisonable cockpit hoods with bulges in them and this was standard on the MKII

The MKIIb had the two cannon and four machine gun wing that was produced for the MKVb spitfire

paul

In the BBMF gift set there is a Spitfire Mk IIa. The only build differences are the addition of part D 37 to the RHS cowling just under the exhausts and the larger spinner cover, part D 44 and broader prop, part D 39. It does mean you need a kit that contains sprue D (with the two bladed prop) which the regular Mk I kit doesn't have.