High Fell, BR (NER) in TT 120

Rallymatt

I used to fish in the Derwent,  For the life of me I cannot remember where, but it was near a caravan park. There was also a manmade lake (Botham Lake springs to mind) that was quite a trek from Houghton-le-Spring  that I used to go to.

Today seems to be my drift off topic day - apologies.

• Like 1

As it’s my thread a level of wandering is actively encouraged when it’s interesting Rob 😁

River Derwent starts up in the North Pennines and builds up past Consett and winds its way to the Tyne about Whickham. The only man made body I can think of or see on the map is Derwent Reservoir, up at Blanchlands, formerly the highest standard gauge line on UK Network. 
Houghton le Spring is way over the east side of the A1 so that would be quite a distance. Since the demise of mining in the North East we have been left with a lot of nature reserves, ponds and fishing lakes, can’t find yours yet. The old BR and NCB rail lines have also left a fabulous network of trails and tracks for walking and cycling. Co Durham is a rural county (4th largest in UK) and it’s incredible to see how nature quickly took back industrial areas. I really love the stunning scenery with a few now almost hidden industrial gems to discover. 

• Like 1

Ah. The other Derwent. We too have some excellent cycling/walking trails in the Derbyshire Dales and the legacy of the Cromford and High Peak, and other railways. I love the sea and the coast and I live in Derbyshire. Families!

• Like 1

Apologies on the lake - it was Bolam Lake in Northumberland, so obviously it was a destination when I lived in north Newcastle. Still a tad of a hike though.

Getting my bowls mixed up with my Bothams.

• Like 1

Dang, used my like allocation up again! Place names are very interesting especially around the UK as so many are influenced by who we were being invaded by at the time 🤣

You often see the same names all over and many close to each other. In the map picture you can see a place called Hamsterley Mill but it’s not the Hamsterley of the forest fame, about 30 miles away. And who knew hamsters were indigenous to Co Durham and came down in huge numbers to a stream to take in the refreshing waters? 
There is a huge mix here of ancient English, Viking, French place names. Many are the invaders language equivalent of earlier Roman names and most descriptive terms for the natural location. 
High Fell’s Twizell Valley is named after the local stream Twizell Burn meaning ‘fork in a stream’ Burn a small stream/beck in a high sided ravine/valley. 
It’s a great way to develop names for layouts and areas. Yes I do like ‘reading ‘ OS Maps 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Postman On The Rails said:

Consett made famous by Philips Fogg Snacks 😝 

Never heard of those, are they good?   Phileas Fogg Snacks I know off 🙂 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A decent day weather wise and having had an unwelcome bout of latest COVID strain, a nice ride to see some railway inspiration in the sun. The gantry signal box on St James’s Quay was the only way I could fit one in. The idea came to me after seeing the one still in use at Wylam. Here are a few pictures of both. 
IMG_5470.thumb.jpeg.c5571d4cfaeb54f300870e16818cd58a.jpegIMG_5471.thumb.jpeg.db71f3aec8dadd3411d00b8c2cf252f5.jpegIMG_5472.thumb.jpeg.bcc06f9a373b460ffa09e44d451a94e3.jpegIMG_5474.thumb.jpeg.69728fb9840c447205ce94fc9b54420a.jpegIMG_5475.thumb.jpeg.f2fda74d84593e4931fa22300314c2e6.jpeg

• Like 7