Track Spacing

Clement Matchett

I am in the perhaps fortunate position of having acquired a Scotsman set (from eBay) , and am being advised that Rails of Sheffield have despatched my bundle of Peco track!

I am planning to start by making a shelf layout.

Can anyone say what the minimum spacing between straight rails should be? I only have permission from The Fat Controller for a shelf of 3240 x 196 mm.

On Peco the track centres on points (their only fixed geometry parts) the centres are 35mm (as have roughly measured) Obviously the overhang issues depends on how tight the radius’s are, I have nothing less than 400mm radius so hopefully 🤞 there are no clashes on the curves 😁

The prototype has 6 feet between rails. That's 15.24 mm in TT120 (0.6 inches!). Adding 12mm for track gauge gives the prototype spacing between centres of 27.24 mm. That should work for straight track (if all your models conform to the prototype loading gauge), but more space will be needed on anything other than gentle curves.

If not using set-track curves then it is always wise to carry out end-throw and centre-throw geometry checks using your longest piece of rolling stock E.g. 12-wheel restaurant car and/or loco with a long front overhang E.g. Coronation streamliner or Class 800s.

Too Tall

I think it would be a long time before any 12 wheelers are introduced, even in 00 there are not many.

On BR, ex LMS etc, 6 wheel bogies were used on 68' and 69' coaches.

These days Mk3'etc are 75' with just 4 wheeled bogies on so a longer coach anyway.

So, if you run steam and modern then 12 wheelers would be no problem if Mk3's run on your layout.

Garry