TT initial shopping list

Skelton Junction

Hi folks, after decades away I’m lured by this scale. Given the lead times for lots of the products it’s handy that my better half hasn’t sanctioned its location yet and so planning baseboards and layouts on paper is currently where I’m at. However, I do know I’ll be after the following to set up once ready. Any pointers to glaring omissions please advise.

1. DCC fitted set with track plan 1 inc.

2. all extension packs.

3. 08 shunter.

4. HM 7000 (unsure what I need in addition).

thanks in advance people.

Guess it depends on how long before you want to do it. As i've done the same really, but getting tempted to cancel orders for track packs and order invidual items. Might cost more, but seem to be in stock.

Unless you not as impatient as me????

What location u going for?

I'm loving the planning for this project....

Good luck in what ever u decide and do..

Personally, i would say download a track planner (I used SCARM, its free for up to 100 pieces, there is also an additional beta download for the hornby TT track).

Look at track plans that fit in your given space for ideas , and make your own or modify one to suit.

Once you have come up with something, the program can tell you what track pieces you require.

The digital set will have enough to get you going, control wise.

Thank you for the info so far. I’ve looked at scarm but obviously not closely enough.

@dodge. I’m planning on echoing the elevated parts from Skelton Junction where I first got hooked, the train sheds from Llandudno junction (now where a cineworld is but sympathetically on the same footprint) and the rest is yet to be conjured up. I do I like the idea of a centrally placed grand station too.

Or forget digital planning, get a piece of paper and a pencil, draw out the plan you would like. Starting with the points work back what other track you will need… if you can order a few other bits there is the chance to play about with your ideas once it’s real, it often looks very different once it’s down to the rendered version.

I’d be adding some things to shunt with my 08 too, coaches don’t get too much shunting

Update:

I’ve received the green light for a 5’x4’ table top so the initial plan is for the full extension pack layout to begin with and wander elsewhere in the future.

Given the current lead time is spring 2023 for the track packs I’ll need a dc loco to accompany them (that arrives at the same time) and wait for the dcc fitted locos to appear so I can go HM 7000 (I’ve a HM duette to use in the interim).

I’m a little confused by that. You say you have ordered the digital set, is that still correct?

If so, you can only run that DC by removing the decoder in the tender and fitting a Next 18 blanking plate.

But why not order the HM7000-6 decoder for your 08, then you are fully DCC as soon as it arrives.

I’ve ordered a DC Easterner ex UK (prior to the Oz SMS deal kicking in) and can’t now cancel to order the digital without doing so in Oz at eye-watering markup. So I’ve already ordered the HM7000-N18TXS for it, also ex UK. And I’ve order the HM7000-6 for the 08 I’ve yet to order.

My intention is to do minimal DC running, may use it for running locos in before all gear arrives, but then I have an Elite in the cupboard so powering the track at 4 Amps is no problem for me. I’m not suggesting anyone new in needs an Elite, just a 4 Amp PSU at a fraction of Elite cost.

Then if you are going to motorise points, clear thinking about options for that will be needed.

Hi @fishmanoz

thankyou for the information, most valuable to a very rusty returnee like me and I take onboard your DCC advice

My wish list on the website changes every couple of days! I’ve gone from having all of my ideal start up requirements to then analysing eta on them and now thinking baseboard and track at first only as, if I have a loco in a box waiting to run I’ll rush the most important bits.

juggling my wishes, the availability of product and tempering my enthusiasm to get going with product I can get is not something I expected at 60

edit. I’ve yet to actually (pre) order anything due to not wanting to rush in