Titfield Thunderbolt - the Loco in Sam's office.

Mahoganydog

Hi Mahoganydog 👋.

Now that you have confirmed the image, I had a very close look at the model.

It looks to be inside cylinder, of the Stephenson Patentee type, 2-2-2. The Patentee type proved its merit and appeared simply everywhere. I can see it is a fairly early locomotive, the footplate is surrounded only by a lovely railing. As to the exact locomotive, I will be unable to get much further than that without a much better image. Perhaps someone could get a better image?

The photo reveals that the model is on a presentation board and it has a plaque identifying the locomotive. So it isn't a nondescript generic locomotive. Perhaps it is Patentee! Rev. Sam is an enthusiast after all.

÷÷÷

Probably the finest model I have ever seen is this

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co27881/model-of-firefly-class-locomotive-about-1840-model-representation

It is a 1:8 model of a Fire Fly class locomotive, presented to Daniel Gooch, Superintendent of the GWR. When observing the square nuts, recognize that they aren't just molded detail, rather, they are threaded and tightened as any nut would be.

It is my working theory that these early models are actually shop direction. That is, to communicate to the workmen what to build, they used models not prints. Literacy and high education would not have been associated men in the shop, likely they started working in their early teenage years and education stopped. So how is the literate engineer, working from detailed plans to communicate those ideas? A model.

Bee