Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

I have finally managed to run in my class 50.  it seems a bit slow!  I have followed someone's advice nd reset the CV149.  not sure it made much difference but I think I am happy with the speed at the moment.

i do like seing your videos.  i have watched from day 1.  You have made good progress.

• Like 1

There's always something isn't there? 🙄 Falcon must have taken a knock in transit on the way back from repairs, after running it in fine for a while I noticed the front bogie didn't quite look right. The little nut that the bolt screws into has come out and the bogie isn't properly attached to the loco. I can't see it, and I've gone round the track with a magnet. No luck. Oh well, back on the phone to Hornby tomorrow. Hopefully that's a spare part they keep in stock and can send out.

2 hours ago, Dave the Busker said:

There's always something isn't there? 🙄 Falcon must have taken a knock in transit on the way back from repairs, after running it in fine for a while I noticed the front bogie didn't quite look right. The little nut that the bolt screws into has come out and the bogie isn't properly attached to the loco. I can't see it, and I've gone round the track with a magnet. No luck. Oh well, back on the phone to Hornby tomorrow. Hopefully that's a spare part they keep in stock and can send out.

I have had a couple of those drop off somehow. Seems strange how it can unscrew on its own but I guess if not really tight then the movement on the curves can have the bracket turn the screw. Once found, luckily, and tightened they have not come apart since.

I do like this style of bogie mounting as opposed to the older method with a swinging arm.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1

I've got a wee while this morning before I head off to work, so I'm sitting watching the trains go by in Hollybush. Everything is running flawlessly today. Thank you to everyone who's helped sort out issues, touch wood I have sorted all the self-inflicted track issues and the bad luck on tech issues. There's so much to learn as you go with this hobby, and I've learned by mistakes along the way. Hopefully now I know enough not to repeat them... and I can make all new mistakes now 🤣

• Like 2

@Dave the Busker Wow! I’ve just read all 14 pages and watched your videos. Amazing progress, thanks so much for sharing everything. I’ve already got loads of bookmarks saved and even placed an order from Moor View Models for some 3D printed figures. 

Like most of us I suspect, I had a Hornby train set as a child (50 years ago) and more recently with my own son. But never had a model layout. As I approach 60 and find myself with a little disposable income and a little more free time, I have been thinking about what hobby I might take up

Then I saw TT:120 advertised, and I knew at that moment that it was the sweet spot between N and OO and would be my next hobby, the one to take me into and beyond retirement. I have spent every free moment for weeks watching videos and looking at websites. I’m excited. 

All I have to do now is convince my Mrs that we do indeed have room for a baseboard, even if it lives in the spare room propped against the wall. 

I have just joined this forum, and wanted to thank you for the inspiration, everything you have posted has been so useful. I have literally nothing: I’m right at the start. My Moor View Models purchase for £20 of figures, is my first purchase in my new hobby. Just so I can say, I have started. 

I am excited to be here, and will happily participate in the forum actively. Hollybush has really fired my imagination….

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've had my Morley Vortrax controller for a few days now, and I have to say I'm impressed with it. The handheld controller is handy for running end to end in the shunting yard when I'm sat away from the control panel at the layout. Compared to the buzzy Gaugemaster unit, it is totally silent. And as for the control at slow speed, well take a look at this, remembering it's DC analogue, crossing four points without digital control or a power bank.

• Like 6

Can't argue with that at all Dave - lovely control. Did you have to fettle much with the 08, or is that as it came out of the box? I'm sure you've already covered this, but remind me, if you don't mind. 

On the performance so far I'm delighted with it. At some point when I've time I might sent the Gaugemaster back for them to check over again, as I'm sure they missed something, at the very least the intermittent fault where output 3 will cut out. If they get it working consistently I might put it back on eBay.

On an unrelated (but still trains) thing, I'm away for the weekend to play a music festival on Iona, which means I get to spend tomorrow on the bit of the West Highland Line I've never done before up to Oban (then a ferry, a bus across Mull, then another ferry. I'm basically going to be travelling all day!). Plenty of scenery inspiration to come 🙂 

• Like 2