Hornby Dublo 3 Rail

Range Rider

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,big learning curve. I have been running 3 rail for 55 years. What locos do you have. I can give you a solution to isolate points, once you have decided your layout. You don’t say how much track you have. Look up Ronald Dodd 3 rail layout on his website. It’s a sight to behold.

Hello Range Rider 👋

If you do not already have one, do yourself an extraordinary favor and purchase a multimeter.

You can test all kinds of items, but a very easy way to tell if your points are isolating / non-isolating is to test them for continuity when on the bench vis diverting / non-diverting routes. In situ? Test for voltage on diverting / non-diverting routes.

You will swiftly learn to recognize visual cues betwixt the two and not need to test, but until then? Your multimeter will be your best friend!

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Bee

Tim, many of us on here, talk directly , and it may be that i can help you quicker this way. If this is your wish, join Model Railway Forum.co.uk, as well as this one, where we can PM or simply email. This will not stop many of your major questions via this forum, but will enable us to compare notes on track pieces, you may need, or loco servicing queries, that are not of general interest. No such facilities apply on this forum.

Sagaguy, hi, yup Marklin skates work fine, but from the Hornby Dublo guy, you can still buy original pickups. Depends how near to original, you want, restoration, i suppose. I get very upset, when people change 3 rail locos to 2 rail.Thank you for your link, Its very good, that Facebook site. If you are also, a 3 rail guy, Have a look at Ronald Dodds site and layout. Absolute, perfection.

Don’t forget that there were other British makes that produced Dublo compatible 3 rail locos. JVM/Gaeity produced a Pannier in 2 and 3 rail and also a blatant copy of the Dublo N2 that also used the same number as the Dublo LMS version, again in 2 and 3 rail. Early Grafar locos also had 3 rail options, as did British Trix. Plenty of Triang locos have been converted to 3 rail too.

Tim, many of us on here, talk directly , and it may be that i can help you quicker this way. If this is your wish, join Model Railway Forum.co.uk, as well as this one, where we can PM or simply email. This will not stop many of your major questions via this forum, but will enable us to compare notes on track pieces, you may need, or loco servicing queries, that are not of general interest. No such facilities apply on this forum.

Thanks Yelrow, have just joined Model Railway Forum.co.uk & awaiting acceptance… PM or email would be good. I’m just at the start of my journey! T

Tim, thats a good site, track is as cheap as chips, and cleans with a Scotchbright green rectangular scourer, or back of piece of old Hardboard. Nothing beats the sound of running Dublo, on metal track.

So you recommend I buy track there? Also where can I buy a Scotchbright green rectangular scourer?

Sagaguy, hi, yup Marklin skates work fine, but from the Hornby Dublo guy, you can still buy original pickups. Depends how near to original, you want, restoration, i suppose. I get very upset, when people change 3 rail locos to 2 rail.Thank you for your link, Its very good, that Facebook site. If you are also, a 3 rail guy, Have a look at Ronald Dodds site and layout. Absolute, perfection.

The problem is that there isn`t the clearance for a Dublo p/up under these locos,they do require a little modification for a Marklin skate.They require a pcb mounting plate to fit.Just check out Ray Randall on the HDE page.forum_image_63fce670db20d.thumb.png.93fcd4a167e741b43ef83f4ff4c16373.png

Thanks Yelrow, have just joined Model Railway Forum.co.uk & awaiting acceptance… PM or email would be good. I’m just at the start of my journey! T

I’m on this Forum now Yelrow….

I’m on this Forum now Yelrow….

Have emailed you via MR Forum….

tim, nothing received. Address, is Model Railway Forum. co.uk, as you said. Owner, is a member of Hornby forum, and many of us are on both. Just makes for easier chats by Private Messaging, or email, if you are stuck, and saves a tad of time. Both forums are excellent, and have helped me, over many hurdles.

tim, nothing received. Address, is Model Railway Forum. co.uk, as you said. Owner, is a member of Hornby forum, and many of us are on both. Just makes for easier chats by Private Messaging, or email, if you are stuck, and saves a tad of time. Both forums are excellent, and have helped me, over many hurdles.

I’ve registered on that site & found your name… not sure what I did wrong…

I’ve registered on that site & found your name… not sure what I did wrong…

Does Scotchbright green rectangular scourer need any liquid?