What did you receive today?

South Coast Flyer

Flying Scotsman and three Pullman coaches with lights. I also received a lot of packaging. The three tiny freight wagons I had on pre-order have also been dispatched but will hopefully arrive in one box.

I also had several pre-order wagons and today I received one despatch mail, but all are listed in my account as despatched today, so hopefully one box with lots of goodies !

Here is a picture of my arch laser cattle wagon that came in kit form a few days ago. Not as smooth running as the hornby brake van but it goes round the track fairly well. Waiting on decals to finish it off. Needs a bit of rust too.

I looked at those wagon kits but was a bit undecided.

Do they have plastic chassis? is it a box frame chassis or just 2 separate sides?

I presume the body and roof are laser cut ply ?

@ Too Tall, chassis is laser cut ply, thicker than the laser cut ply sides. The chassis parts fitted together very well. The top provided was a laser cut piece of card. I found it didn't bend well so I used it as a template to cut two pieces of paper which I laminated together with glue in between. There were a few issues with the kit. The roof joists were too long and had to be cut down to size. The floor had the floor boards etched in but as it was only on one side the floor was warped. There was a mistake in the etching of one of the ends too. Definitely needs refining but it was fun to make, and it is something I can practice weathering/transfers/etc. on.

Just one bit more to add. The couplings need to be shimmed down a little to line up with the hornby couplings. We are talking fractions of a millimeter. Definitely needs refining, but it isn't like it is made in a multi-million quid factory! Fun to make, but it is very fiddly work.

Here is a picture of my arch laser cattle wagon that came in kit form a few days ago. Not as smooth running as the hornby brake van but it goes round the track fairly well. Waiting on decals to finish it off. Needs a bit of rust too.
forum_image_6439272906655.thumb.png.2b069d140b2c2db9ed4da0506e158e15.png

How are the couplings fitted? Is there any provision for them to pivot in the way the Hornby ones do, and if not, have you tried it round curves or pointwork? The Hornby coupling is a close coupling, and these are normally designed to lock rigidly together — which can cause derailments on curves if a wagon is not fitted with the "kinematic" mechanism.

Hi Nimbus, the couplings get glued into a dovetail that is glued to the underside of the chassis. I had them just pushed in(not glued) when I did a few laps of the 2nd and 3rd radius loops so maybe they weren't so stiff then. No derailments and they went over the points fine. Of course they were between the tender and the brake van, so had the benefit of the pivot on the couplings they were joined to. It might be different withe a rake of them.

Today I received 2 x Next18 TXS decoders thanks to the double point offer from Easter and something I didn’t order, a 4amp mains power supply with adapter lead. Quick call to CS and collection arranged for tomorrow. Hopefully someone isn’t missing this in their order! 😁

Today I received the screws and the connecting piece (between the tender and loco) for my William Whitelaw, where I'd lost the loco screw.

Thanks Hornby spares. Great, prompt service.

(Today was last Friday but didn't have ability to post.)