Power Bank + HM7000-N18TXS in 1:120

Ivans Rails

The decoder plugs into the socket in the tender (as shown on the maintenance sheet that comes with the loco/train set).
There is then a socket on the decoder that the power bank plugs into.

Right but I cant seem to fit the shell back on with the battery pack installed.

Though I will probably have to, Ivan, I haven’t gone that far.

But have a look at a video on YouTube where one ‘ Frankey T ‘ shows how to fit the sugar cube speaker, and I suspect that the Power Bank/ Stay Alive fits under the main board, like the speaker?

As they say, ‘as a last resort, read the instructions’

I haven’t, but apparently they run to 100 pages! At knocking on 79, I probably haven’t got time!

Unlikely that the power bank was designed to fit in TT locos, primarily an OO thing.

One option is to permanently couple a coach behind the loco and house the power bank in there and carefully thread the wires through - some modifications and modelling skills will undoubtedly be required.

Further to my earlier comment, I have now fitted the HM7000 decoder to my Falcon A4, and replaced what I take to be a blank sugar cube with the one which comes in the decoder bundle. It seems to work well, despite having the generic sound. I will install the A4 sound profile later today.

First point: I have found that my three LNER Pacifics are much less susceptible to any deficiencies in my track-laying skills than are my 00 engines, many of which are Pacific’s. I haven’t bought any Power Bank/Stay Alives for TT120, because I don’t think they are necessary. Hornby have clearly tried to up-grade the connectivity of these feather-light TT120 locos by providing pickups on all the axles, where practicable.

Second point; Given that the ‘as sold’ mother board in these Pacific tenders already covers the sugar cube space, I am surprised that the Hornby Power Bank is so large as not to fit above the speaker. But, as I have already said, it is overkill at providing a 9 second charge. My little Southern 00 M5 tank engine has only 5 seconds, and it works very reliably, including with TTS sound. You could solder, or get someone else to solder, a smaller Stay Alive onto the plug you have.

Or sell the kit to somebody running HM7000 on 00?

I hope you manage to sort it out.

Beware soldering in any old stay alive. The Hornby one uses components both on the power bank and on the decoder to control charging, noting that the power bank only charges when the loco is moving, so it’s not just a capacitor with a resistor hanging off it. Using any other stay alive will likely null and void the decoder warranty and may affect the loco as well.

None of the HM DCC equipment is listed in the TT:120 section of the web shop. Just in the main shop area. Without seeing all the locos we can’t really say if a powerbank ‘won’t fit’

Can I ask why you took the pre-fitted speaker out and replaced it with the one that comes with the decoder?

So, RAF96, is it possible to fit the Hornby Powerbank into the TT120 locos which have been released so far?
I assume it is?
And if it is not, why is it listed as available in the TT120 shop?

You would have to assess that on a loco by loco basis which I certainly do not have.

If not then it is only listed there as a generic product likely as ‘…folk also bought these…’

If in doubt contact Hornby Customer Care and ask the precise question ‘Can I git the R7337 power bank to a TT~xxx loco and if so where does it go’.

Ad Rallymatt.

Regarding removal of the item from the speaker aperture in my A4, though I recognised that it must be something more than a blank (because it was magnetic!), I couldn’t see how it was connected to the mother board.

How does that work?

And, I have been reliably informed re 00 TTS that much better results can be achieved by upgrading the speaker.

And I had one, so I used it

The info about the power bank's dimensions can be found on page 120 of the HM7000 manual. Its size makes it almost unusable for TT locos, being 20x12.5x9.5mm. As it is only connected by two wires, charging current is switched on/off by the decoder, my educated guess is that it is only equipped with current/voltage limiting and will supply 8V back unless there's some sophisticated circuitry employed including a step-up converter which would need room that I cannot see provided.

Since @Clement Matchett raised the topic - of whether there is a difference (especially in quality/performance) between the speaker pre-fitted in certain TT:120 locos & the one included with decoders.

According to the developers - no difference (except for the way they interface with the decoder - pre-fitted uses spring contacts instead of the plug & socket).

Since @Clement Matchett raised the topic - of whether there is a difference (especially in quality/performance) between the speaker pre-fitted in certain TT:120 locos & the one included with decoders.
According to the developers - no difference (except for the way they interface with the decoder - pre-fitted uses spring contacts instead of the plug & socket).

Thanks LT. I should have gone to Spec Savers! But I will try the built-in speaker in my Flying Scotsman; I read somewhere that it has one.

And I presume Blink Bonnie hasn’t.

As far as current releases go, the non digital set locos, Blink Bonny and William Whitelaw have the speaker enclosure as part of the tender moulding but no speaker fitted. The separately available locos all appear to be pre-fitted with the tender mounted speaker. Popping the N18 TXS decoder into the socket will automatically connect with the pre-fitted speaker.

You should in time end up with a few spare speakers which could be useful if you start moving decoders between locos as the adhesive seal on the speakers means they start to delaminate if you attempt removal. Certainly in TT:120 it’s been very well thought about.