Power track what's the difference TT8001 & TT8029

Mark-1964

Hi I'm new to the hobby and hoping the get a TT120 set and use it via the HM7000 App. I think I need to bypass the controller and power the track directly. Was thinking of using the 15V power supply adapter. I notice there is a digital power track.

So my question is do I need a digital Power track or can I use the one in the set.

Regard mark

See other threads also.

The power track in the sets is for DC. It has a capacitor in the circuit to suppress audio interference. But the capacitor is not needed for DCC, indeed performance can be impaired by it.

The answer - it depends on your willingness to open the DC component and cut the cables to the capacitor, you will see how to do this elsewhere. Or buy a DCC power track, or solder wire directly to the track or fishplates. I think the jury is out on using HM7000 with the starter set controller - keep an eye out for reviews on u-tube. It should be enough to get you going.

for best advice on this head over to the HM 7000 HM DCC section of the forum and much of this is covered regarding best Power Supply Units (PSU)

If you are using HM 7000 the signal is sent via Bluetooth not via the rails so the presence of the circuitry in the power track will not affect DCC signals

robc058 wrote -  I think the jury is out on using HM7000 with the starter set controller - keep an eye out for reviews on u-tube. It should be enough to get you going. 

Why on Earth would you rely upon some you-tuber for information that has been posted on here several times with authority. The subject is even covered in the official decoder manual.

Why on Earth would you rely upon some you-tuber for information that has been posted on here several times with authority. The subject is even covered in the official decoder manual.

YouTube videos are more likely to give an unbiased opinion and a layman's perspective instead of the echo chamber enforced on this forum where any descenting voice or concern from paying customers is instantly silenced when they say something the mods simply do not like even though no rule breaking has taken place and the utmost respect given and the conversion was still ongoing.

That might be why. The powermad attitude of those "enforcing" the rules here (which apparently includes saying something the mods don't agree with) is a detrement to the community.

I'll show myself out as I'm sure you'll lock this topic as well now I've dared to speak out. I won't be back, and I suspect there are many before me who have exited due to this.

I believe that YouTube & fora both contain a mixture of biased, less knowledgeable opinions and unbiased, objective, knowledgeable ones.

It is entirely up to each person to decide which they choose to follow - nobody (on the internet) can force another person to watch/read/listen to them & agreement certainly can’t be forced!

Personally I believe this forum’s Mods do their best to support, assist and encourage enjoyment of this hobby. They generally only ‘enforce’ rules when participants repeatedly provide inaccurate/misleading information or start criticising/attacking other participants. Topics/threads are sometimes locked if there is no actual information available and speculation starts to veer into (unfounded) criticism/arguments - however this is simply an effort to get participants to ‘walk away/move on’ & certainly not censorship. Obviously mistakes/misunderstandings can occur - but everyone (including the Mods) are only human!

Ad Richard-347144

Yes!

There are one or two, some amongst the mods, who genuinely try to help, but equally, there are some who are clearly tired of all this and are expressing themselves in exasperated tones. Clear off then!

I am not an aficionado of social media, and don’t indulge, generally.

I worked in Very Big Business years ago, and if a major launch had been done without adequate stock, then the brand managers and their superiors would have been delivering pizzas for the rest of their lives!

Peter, just a couple of comments from someone who has been around for some time on here now:

• I don’t tend to take much notice of YouTube or social media, I stick to this forum and one other to an extent
  • I don’t consider myself a Hornby lackey and have been critical here of some of their offerings, including some still current. My view is that this approach is common with contributors, they have a balanced view of Hornby. You could compare this to 10 years ago when there were 2 obvious Hornby plants posting the most pro-Hornby drivel you could imagine.
  • The rate of new threads and posts is particularly high at the moment following the recent launches. This is stretching the capabilities of the mods to keep up. This was exacerbated just on a year ago with one the more prolific and technically competent of their number passing away without a replacement being found. Given the overall excellent job they do in my opinion, I’m willing to cut them a little slack from time to time.

One of the problems with YouTube ‘experts’ is they are not very expert. The recent Sam’s Trains decoder review was a point in fact,

poking about into delicate electronics with a metallic screwdriver is not ‘best practice’

Failing to read the instructions and not fully understanding the technology behind the HM7000 system

Not turning F1 on to activate sounds and then whining the sounds don’t work

Giving incorrect advice on use of power supplies

Not everyone is an expert despite making money out of YouTube videos 😳

The issue with reviewers is a lot of people assume they actually know what they are talking about and therefore their findings are relevant. The reality is that a reviewer that uses a DC connector that came with the TT120 set after fitting a DCC decoder and doesn't understand why DCC running is erratic doesn't really know the subject and his opinion becomes immediately irrelevant. A second reviewer, commonly referred to as 'carpet man', who runs trains on carpets, then pokes about with a screwdriver and handles decoders multiple times with no indication of taking ESD precautions also cannot be taken seriously.

The issue with reviewers is a lot of people assume they actually know what they are talking about and therefore that their findings are relevant.

The reality is that a reviewer that uses a DC connector that came with the TT120 set after fitting a DCC decoder and doesn't understand why DCC running is erratic doesn't really know the subject and his opinion therefore becomes immediately irrelevant.

A second reviewer, commonly referred to as 'carpet boy', who runs trains on carpets, then pokes about with a screwdriver and handles decoders multiple times with no indication of taking ESD precautions also cannot be taken seriously.

It doesn’t take long to develop a BS filter to sniff out these so called experts.

For a start look at their click bait ratings, then read a few of the comments in their reviews. Many of these folk are being paid to dramatise things - never let the truth get in the way of a good story as the newspaper reporters used to say.

You will immediately spot their fan-boys and also note that those who know what they are talking about will soon point out any errors in these charlatan ‘expert’ reviews.