Airfix 1/72 BF109-E3 Starter kit - completed

Tomski-347247

Hi Folks,

Another little starter kit off the workbench.

Airfix 1/72 BF109-E3 Starter kit (A68205) as flown by Werner Pichon-Kalau von Hofe, III./JG 51, France 1940

I won't lie, I had a few little challenges with this one. Some of the parts are so small & delicate that they simply broke or were damaged by careful handling/fitting to the model.

Namely the antenna mast & a couple of the small underwing components. I had to get creative & scratch-build them (Or buy another kit, so I scratch-built them accompanied by a fair dose of swearing)

Paints were Tamiya, with Winsor & Newton oils, and Mig & Tamiya weathering powders/rigging.

Tail symbol courtesy of Hannants. I have also taken some shots with the engine cover off, but can only offer 3 photos here - maybe next time...

forum_image_6432dd53eb4c7.thumb.png.74e198c53dc9763f5cc31ae6ba0c80d9.pngforum_image_6432dd63142c8.thumb.png.abe6605bc24049767605456d94141a14.pngforum_image_6432dd6fc65a2.thumb.png.acb986a91e52aabc36981e523c41e2b5.png

Hope you like it...

Happy Easter.

Cheers.

Tom

I would think that the use of the Swastika would probably prevent it being used by AMW. The magazine certainly wouldn't be able to be sold in Germany (where unauthorised use carries a 3 year prison sentence) or any other country where it is illegal to display the sign. See Wikipedia bans on Na zi symbols

I have a Swastika decal set from Hannants myself as I like my models to be historically accurate but it does become problematic the moment you try to take that outside the realm of your home. Just over 3 years ago I visited the Nuremberg rally grounds and unless it's displayed for educational purposes such as a museum it's a very touchy subject in Germany and most likely any of the countries who suffered invasion by the Third Rei....ch. I've been into Military Modelling since the early Seventies but every now and then I have a little conscience battle with myself over the nature of what I'm actually building and what is was used for. Even this forum won't let me write Na zi or Rei....ch.

I had a Corgi FW190 from roughly the mid naughties and that had a Swastika on the tailplane. Obviously neither that nor AMW were sold in Europe unless they removed the decal from the tailplane as an export variant although I find that wholly unlikely within a limited production run.