Power loss with my layout.

Fifo

Hello, ive recently started to get interested in model railways again and ive built a small layout using track i had. Whenever i run my starter set 0-4-0s they stop at random points on the track and start again when i press the track they are on, i don't think its the fishplates and ive cleaned the track with some rubber. This problem happens mostly on points and curves. Can anyone help me?

When the loco stops, does it go again if you nudge it gently or do you need to apply pressure to the loco or track? Does it stop instantly as soon as it goes past a rail joint (that would indicate a loose joint)?

Remember you need to keep the loco wheels clean as well as the track.

If it's stopping immediately after a rail joint try using something metal to bridge across the rail joints it's just passed over, to determine which joint is loose. Give that joint's fishplate a gentle squeeze with snipe nose pliers. When I see this sort of problem I carry the pliers in my hand ready to use them for bridging the joint to find the failure and for squeezing where necessary :)

Hello Ionut

There are 1000 ways to skin a cat. The cat usually likes none of them.

For wheels: many will swear by cotton buds and isopropyl alcohol. For more aggressive cleaning or stubborn dirt, a fiber pen is warranted. You do NOT want to abrade the metal. You DO want to remove the deposits. So rub a dub dub with cotton buds until you see nothing come away on the bud. Then inspect the wheels. If they are clean of all deposits, mission accomplished. If not, rub some more. If stymied, resort to the fiber pen as a last resort. Avoid sharp metal tools, that will simply damage wheels.

Bee

Please feel free to have laugh if you wish but 1 way that I found to clean track was the use of ebamel thinners on a cloth, it does not leave any oily residue on the rails and locos perform well until the bext cleaning is required. Another way to clean rails as daft as this might sound but believe me it works is a pencil eraser.

Another way to improve the performance of 0-4-0 locos is the addition of pickups if the loco only has prefitted pickups to 1 side, adding pickups to the opposite side and connecting them to the motor will help. Also some 0-4-0s had auxiliary coal tenders coupled to them which were converted from unused 4 wheel coal wagons.

Coupling 1 of these to your loco and fitting pickups to it which would require connecting to the motor aswell will increase the length of the pickup wheelbase and the addition of extra weight in the water tanks ( if possible to do ) will increase the locos traction ability too.

Hope this helps.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned electronic track cleaners such as the Relco unit. (I am aware that these are a "No No" on DCC systems.) I have three on my layout, (one for each controller), and must say I find them absolutely marvellous. I very rarely have to clean any part of my track physically, yet still achieve excellent running. They even help with cleaning the contact between point switch blades and the stock rails. They also help to keep wheel cleaning to a minimum. I generally clean locomotive wheels manually once a year, (annual service!). Admittedly, it probably helps that I usually run my layout for around three hours every day, but even when I have been away for a while, the Relcos can be seen doing their job when I get back and first start running trains again.

@Potterton They are clever but they don't actually clean the track, they create a high frequency high voltage low current arc to bridge the dirt or small air gaps. "Cleaner" is a misnomer. They lose effectiveness the more track and wiring joints you have in the layout. In the long term they can cause pitting of the wheels.

I had Relcos in the 70s but stopped using them in the 1980s.

There is no substitute for proper regular cleaning of wheels and track. Cleaning and servicing loco wheels makes you observe and adjust or fix any other issues. Going round the track also means you find other problems such as loose bits and pieces, bad wiring connections, that buffer that fell off ages ago etc. :)

@ntpntpntp Maybe I should have said "cleaners" instead of cleaners, but as I said, I've used them continuously since the 1970's and never had any problems with them. There is no obvious evidence of pitting on any of my locomotives either. I'm not saying there isn't any, but the Relcos certainly haven't caused them any problems and they all run perfectly well on all parts of the layout. (A continuous circuit, but split into several sections so there are relatively few track points relying on fishplates for conductivity.) Personally, I think they're great, but I do know some people don't rate them much at all. I suppose you could call them a Marmite thing.