85th Mallard vs Dublo Gannet

Hi all,

I currently have the 85th Mallard on pre order to go with my A1/A2/A3. There’s not much detail on it but I imagine it’s not the railroad version. It’s the pre speed record version so doesn’t come with the commemorative side plate. However I’m keen on the Dublo A4 range and Gannet seems to be available for under £300 (plus it was the first A4 my father saw at Peterborough New England, albeit in BR guise). I know it’s personal choice but which would be the better option? I’m happy with most of my ‘standard’ Hornby locos but the die cast is appealing. The 85th is £175 after Hornby discount and Gannet would be about £290. Choices choices! My Tornado, Happy Knight and Scotsman are all in BR green livery but I feel I need a garter blue in the collection.

I think you have put forward both reasoned and valid arguments for buying both so it would be rude not to. Just do as I do and promise yourself you won't pre-order anymore! Until another 'must have' pops up. slightly_smiling_face

Indeed! Keep telling myself that, but more new releases just keep popping up. I’ve no idea why I purchased the coronation 66, but I wanted a momento and I guess I fell for it! I’m mainly LMS but always fancied an A4. I could have both but I do have to watch the bank account occasionally! Reviews on the Dublo seem really good (plastic tender aside) but can I justify £100 more.

I have the Mallard on pre-order, and I received my Gannet a while ago. The Gannet really is superb, so if the Mallard is anything near the same quality, I’ll be happy I got both.

If you want both and have the money for both, get both!

You mentioned the Hornby discount. If you mean the 10% off when you order, that’s no longer a thing.

Surprisingly I have never owned the Mallard locomotive, I have owned 2 A4s before I purchased number 60029 Woodcock at a model train fair a few years ago but still Mallard had escaped my ownership because everytime I found the locomotive whether in tender or locomotive driven format, the prices being asked for the loco always put me out of the running to own it.

My previous A4s were Sir Nigel Gresley with 4498 on the cabsides ( now my brothers locomotive after he asked me if he could have it ) and 60031 Golden Plover was the other.

60031 went on to have the body extended to fit my P2 chassis which was also modified to be fitted with walschaerts valve gear which came from a kitbuilt V2 locomotive but that's a subject for another thread.

Two A4s were announced in the 2022 catalog with Hornby Dublo Branding that would not have the Great Gathering branding (but I believe Diecast bodies) - both were limited editions of 500

R3972 - 4900 Gannet (LNER Blue with valances)

R3973 - 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley (BR Green)

They also released a set in 2020 that was Hornby Dublo and Hornby Centenary Branded, but the loco did not have a diecast body

R1252M - 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley (LNER Blue with valances)

If you are looking for an investment then the Hornby main range model will probably be best. Real Hornby-Dublo was made in the UK and died in 1964. The Hornby-Dublo models made today are made in China and bear little if any resemblance to the proper UK made Hornby-Dublo other than the box, and even the box colour is wrong, they are Hornby-Chinalo models.