For those that missed out on the Club Exclusive R30283 BR Coronation Class

DarkRedCape

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's showing out of stock again now (6.18pm) - I assume they had a few cancellations. I ordered it when it was announced,

You are a bad influence DRC - Looking through the loco's in the "shop" having read your post, I notice that the Great Gathering 60009 Union of South Africa A4 was back in stock - and my finger hit the "Buy button"anguishedgrinning

I thought maybe I was being a bit premature with this post and it was just a website glitch, so I went and tried to add it to my basket and it allowed me to do it. So I’m hoping a few here managed to snap up whatever they had left.

I grabbed a few of the Great Gathering locos myself BB, I wanted the 60009, but I already had three of the GG locos in the basket and I couldn’t (financially) bring myself to add a fourth.

@DRC - I suppose the worrying thing "financially" about the Great Gathering, is that A4's are probably very similar when it comes to production, and they might all arrive at the same timesleepy

I added 60009 to my collection, as I had seen in many times on "specials" coming through Basingstoke, and I used to see it fairly regularly back in the fifties, when I was spotting not far from Kings X. Many loco's in my collection are ones that I have physically seen.

60009 UoSA was indeed a very hard-worked 'preserved' locomotive.

Very unfortunate it's not circulating now, but reasons are understood.

I renamed a super detail A4 to 60009 UoSA and 'weathered appropriately' - very rare she was ever gleaming in any videos or photos, such was her circulation!!

Great choice.

Al.

Did 46220 Coronation really have red nameplates? I cannot find any pictures that show the nameplate - it certainly ran in blue livery from 1950-52. I note that Fox Transfers have them in both red and black together with crest.

Google Images show a "replica" plate that was on display at the NRM and it's black.

There is also a well known painting of 46220 Coronation hauling the Royal Scot and the nameplates are most certainly black. Any views?

I had a feeling they'd end up on Ebay pretty sharpish. £300 even seems low, I remember the Queen Jubilee started at £1000, and sold!

I got the "it's arrived" email, but no dispatch info yet. Hopefully my R3997 City of London will arrive soon too, it shows as in stock on the website now.

Edit: Oh and happy news, it's back in stock, again! States last few, so be quick.

The Hornby website has been a bit unusual the last few days. Several of my pre-orders had their released dates removed, and some locos were removed from the website entirely. All seems to be back to normal now though.

Glad you managed to nab one KJ. They have been popping up as available now and then but they go back to unavailable or sold out within an hour.

One on eBay,starting bid £300.

Yes, and it is for sale in Basingstoke - where I live! I can assure you it's not me selling.

Are you sure BB,it’s got Bullied Boy written all over it ,😀😀😀

@mjb1961

Most definitely not me - I have a saying when it comes to collecting model locomotives -"I buy loco's but I never ever sell them". grinning

The funny thing is, I have been watching a Bachmann Class 66 "Evening Star" on Ebay - and I suddenly realised today, it's the same guy selling it as selling the Coronationslightly_frowning_face

Well I had one on "notify me" alert and nothing appeared. So if the did come back in stock, then it shows it's a waste of time trying to do a stock alert. It was "sold out" when I got the email saying it was available. I bet at least half are being sold to speculators. Hope they get their fingers burnt but at the price it was sold that is unlikely.

Just about giving up on Hornby. The changes to the membership and things like this are the final nail.

There are currently three on Ebay, all with bids in place, two are at a reasonable level, and the original one at £300. I do not believe these loco's will reach the dizzy heights that the purple West Country appeared to reach - if you look they are still sitting on ebay.

I received mine yesterday along with the R3997 City of London. The locos are identical in build, just different colour, name plate and number, so it is interesting that Hornby were able to sell 500 of these at a much lower price than the other.

But truth be told my City of London cost £0, as I bought it entirely with rewards points.

..... I do not believe these loco's will reach the dizzy heights that the purple West Country appeared to reach - if you look they are still sitting on ebay.

Blimey, just seen the purple ones -- how much!!!! Unbelievable - pure greed or a rare opportunity to own something unique and amazing!?