BR class 08. First review?

Peachy

One problem from one person, people love to find issues .. Mine works at treat, handled radius 1 curves no issues, super smooth and looks great. Very happy bunny..

That’s good to hear, part of my DCC layout has a small patch of radius1 which I’m aiming on using this with

One problem from one person, people love to find issues .. Mine works at treat, handled radius 1 curves no issues, super smooth and looks great. Very happy bunny..

So, I like to find issues do I?

I think I have done far more than you with the 120 system and having the rods/wheels lock up is not an issue you think should be mentioned?

Okay, thats fine I will not be helping anyone anymore.

With respect, just because you have a model you’re happy with doesn't mean all others are perfect. On this forum, plenty of contributors have had faulty models which have been replaced by Hornby. It’s not unexpected in what are first generation models. Simon Kohler has admitted to errors.

Can I just remind folk about the forum rules . . .

Please keep all discussions polite or, at the very least, civil. Action will be taken against posts and/or topics that cause distress beyond a debate or disagreement. . . .

. . .No posts meant to offend, hurt or cause distress for any other user. 

My 08 arrived yesterday

Well happy with it.

A bit twitchy over some track but I think that’s more down to my track laying/ballasting, over the points it is faultless

It looks super pulling my modest 6 wagons.

Definately looking forward to future diesels (class 42 and 52 pretty please)

If a loco looks like it is getting a lot of oscillation from one side to another it would be worth just checking the gauging. On my Peco track I often have to gauge out the wheel sets to get them to run better (and in some cases no short over points) the min std recommended is 10.2mm but I have seen under that and I find setting to the optimum 10.5mm sorts a lot of issues out.

These are ‘back to back’ measurements

If a loco looks like it is getting a lot of oscillation from one side to another it would be worth just checking the gauging. On my Peco track I often have to gauge out the wheel sets to get them to run better (and in some cases no short over points) the min std recommended is 10.2mm but I have seen under that and I find setting to the optimum 10.5mm sorts a lot of issues out.

Hi Garry, how exactly do you adjust the gauge? Do these wheels pull apart along the axle?

PS have you had any joy sorting the plastic rods on your 08 yet?

Peachy, I’m not Garry 🤣

Yes the wheels are slid onto the axles. At least one will move easily. Measuring is quite important, a good quality vernier caliper is my favoured tool. Cheap digital ones are generally not worth bothering with, to get accuracy on digital ones they cost £200 plus, but a top quality vernier caliper is £40 plus but you do need to learn how to use them (it’s really easy)

forum_image_6469290572f05.thumb.png.32e995f6e16a869c49b372e6fefed79f.png

buffers slightly high too.

if this repeated in the MK2s and MK3s it WILL look terrible. The British loading gauge is soo tight that most vehicles are built to the max height. Lovely little loco but the coupler mountings are a bit shonky and very delicate.

Found an image of Mk1 carriage dimensions online

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I_itjJ6gDWs/UKZBl9znfuI/AAAAAAAAAsc/n3VR252viwk/s1600/RBR2.jpg

This corroborates 12’ 4.5” to roof but 12’ 9.5’ to top of vents, so the carriage roof does seem to be lower than that of the 08. This makes sense as the vents would get damaged if they protruded too high. By contrast, I think Mk3s have no vents, or certainly they’re less prominent, so the roofline may be higher than the Mk1

Hi Garry, how exactly do you adjust the gauge? Do these wheels pull apart along the axle?

PS have you had any joy sorting the plastic rods on your 08 yet?

Garry is Silver Fox 17 I think. It’s funny how we are all on Facebook with different names. After a while you start to connect everyone

I’m not of Farce Book so you won’t find me there 🤣

Just to correct something that’s been floating about re the 08 connecting rods, they are 100% definitely not plastic but are in fact metal- not that mine have shown any willingness to move but that’s entirely another matter 🤣

Personally I am not willing to risk my hard earned on CAD designed scale items that are not scale in one of the most important areas re height. They are not toy trains. I did not care about such things as a boy with Hornby OO but as things have become soo very detailed it is a tragedy that roof and buffer heights do not align between models of the same scale.

yes I know that buffer heights can vary on the real thing but that is not IMHO something we should replicate as it is due to maintenance/wear issues.

The couplers on my 08 are not as level and secure as they are on the MK1s. I do not see why a close coupling was necessary as it is a very delicate assembly and does not even sit level. It's a shunter! Coupling is its bread and butter. I just see frustration here. How come Euro manufacturers of even budget models get it right? (Piko Hobby).

As an example Graham Farish brought out close coupling on its blue riband mk1 coaches. Great? I found them troublesome. Their wonderfully detailed mk2fs have gone back to good old bogie mounted couplers albeit with nem sockets.

So all in all my confidence is shot. I have cancelled my pre order for the HST and am returning the 08 + Mk1s. Lovely looking models but not worth the risk.