Isolating sections in DCC layouts

Malcolm-3634

When setting out layout prior to DDC i would normally have an isolating section where there is a point to prevent a loco traversing a point that has not been correctly set. It seems, reading DDC suggestions that you put a clip in the point to stop it isolating. This surely removes the ability to isolate that section. I appreciate that the sidings should be powered to allow sunting etc.

I would appreciate comments as to what is the best practice here.

Malcolm

I suggest that perhaps you were using the isolating function of the point for something it was not originally intended to be used for.

In a DC Analogue layout, the function of the isolating points was primarily to create electrically isolated sidings to park a DC loco so that it would not respond along with a powered loco placed on the main loop and isolate cross-overs between loops to allow multiple DC controllers to be used. In DC layouts it is still possible in certain scenarios to have locos drive into incorrectly set points, therefore your rationale regarding the function of an isolating point is somewhat flawed.

In DCC, you control the loco not the track and the system is designed to have an all track always live environment. Yes it is possible with DCC to drive a loco into an incorrectly set point, and that is one weakness of the DCC system, but that is outweighed by the benefits, such as leaving a loco on a siding with lights on and engine sound running. And as you yourself highlighted, have the ability to create a complicated shunting puzzle yard with simplified wiring and switching that doesn't adversely interact with the rest of the layout.

At the end of the day, it is your layout with your rules. So if you want to circumvent normal DCC convention and have isolated track and lose the benefits, then that is your choice.

You can of course still have isolated sections on point approaches that are only powered when the point is set correctly. Similar to switching signals on point setting logic and often using built-in features in the point setting decoders.

If I understand correctly how ABC works, then if you are using the DCC chips that support ABC (so the latest Hornby HM-DCC ones will do) then instead of completely electrically isolating a section you could cut one side of the track in two places an put in an ABC module for that section that you bypass with a switch (DCC controlled if you want). That way any trains entering the ABC section will gracefully stop until you flip the switch and let them proceed.

On my DCC layout I have isolating sections on all my points. For a start they are all electrofrog so you need some form of isolation. I do as I used to do with DC, have an isolating length of track before each point so if the point is in the wrong direction the loco stops. Ok the loco will no longer make noises if it is a sound based one but in my case stops a short happening, if you have the right DCC decoder you can even get it to still make the noises but not move. I must admit so far I have not got this function to work. The section of isolating track is energised by a relay driven off the point. To me there is really no difference between a DC and DCC layout the only difference as with my layout where I have 4 tracks, on DC I had four controllers, on DCC you parallel the four tracks together and control it from one controller.

I have, at long last, got my Easterner connected to my HM7000 app. My question is though, I have 2 circuits laid (temporarily) atm and when I switch from the outer one to the inner, as I switch the inner point in order to avoid the obvious derailing the loco stops. Am I correct in thinking that additional wiring is necessary, and if so is it just a case of soldering wires across the circuits (also sidings) as you would with analogue control.

Ian, yes you need more wiring.

To find out more, go to the top of the General forum and read the sticky starting Getting Started …

Also, you are more likely to get good answers to your problems by starting your own topics rather than putting them at the bottom of unrelated topics (yours is not what this topic is about).

Thanks Fishmanoz and apologies. There are soooo many threads and 'isolating sections' seemd appropriate place to find answers. I wonder if it's possible to be able to set up a 'quote' link so thatI (and others) can say thanks to that particular post/answer.Just a thought.

No need to apologise Ian, I’m just trying to help you get good answers.

You can quote another’s reply by using the 3-dots menu on the right of posts. I find that much overused though, simple posts as we’ve done work for me unless I’m referring specifically to something many posts up from my reply. And then I often edit the quoted reply down to the relevant part before adding my reply under, with a line space before it starts.