The SCOTSMAN TT:120 TT1001TXSM on sale on ebay

Baz657

There is a big difference between asking and getting! Have you seen the job lot where £2500 is being asked? TBH I can see £500 worth max.

There’s more stock in this listing than many retailers have on their shelves and the thirty odd non hornby boxes ; What make are they?

Also, the scenics have disappeared.

I think a lot of the ‘perceived’ value is in some models of a film ‘oh Mr Porter’ which to most modellers probably has little financial value. It’s quite an odd collection, 5 Hornby Goods sheds? The model is lovely but it’s a local shed, a small station would have 1, a big depot would be a completely different building. The usual reason people make job lots is the vast majority of the lot is low value and would struggle to sell on its own.

the world is a rip off people just think it is ok to do it

and companies are just as bad

i would like to sell my oo and ho stock to get more tt 120

but the trade in was £35 when the loco cost £120 four mouths are

go at the same company hat i will not name them ..

that is just one deal sleepy

go at the same company hat i will not name them ..

"Trade in" is the worst way to sell anything, from cars to model railways. They will always give you the worst price. If you want to sell for a higher price then a private sale or eBay is a much better bet. One other thing, what it cost 4 months ago isn't any indication of value, they have overheads to cover which add to the price, also they may have stock that sits on their shelves for months and years, a private sale and shop selling cannot be compared.

i would like to sell my oo and ho stock to get more tt 120

go at the same company

That's probably about right for a trade-in to a shop or dealer. It's now second-hand (I always think that halves the value), the trader has to check it over, store it somewhere, maybe list it online. These are all additional costs and they still need to make a working profit otherwise no point in running the business.

As has been said, what you paid for it is not particularly relevant. That was your choice to buy it at that price but isn't necessarily what it's "worth" to someone else. The price may have dropped elsewhere, or maybe it's not a rare or sought-after model.

You will normally get more by selling privately.

I would like to sell my oo and ho stock to get more TT:120
but the trade-in was £35 when the loco cost £120 four months ago

It’s definitely worth trying to sell your used stock instead of trading them in. A private sale on a well known auction website will definitely get you a better price. I usually list my items as buy-it-now with offers that way I’m not risking a low sale price from an auction.

Something people can loose sight of is the retailer margin. If a product has a retail price of £100 it’s likely a retailer can obtain it for 50-75% of that (higher value items like cars it’s usually around 17% dealer margin, so 83%) No retailer is going to pay more for a second hand item than they can obtain it new for unless there are special circumstances.

That’s why online auction sites have a place, ultimately anything will find its value