Christmas train question

Darrenmb

I know it’s only august, but my Christmas wagon just showed up, and I have a question for anyone else that buys one every year, what are you using to pull them around your tree ( assuming that’s where you run them) I bought the Christmas set a few years back and have been adding a Christmas wagon yearly, the year before last the little loco was struggling, but still was able to pull them all, last year was a no go, had to step up to a jinty that I had laying around ( at least it was green)

so what are you using????

thanks in advance

Darren

If you have a circular track around your tree there is obviously a fundamental limit to how many wagons you can have in the train, which is the inner circumference of the track. However, even before this limit is reached your loco will run out of puff because it can't pull as many wagons around a curve as it can on a straight. This is because on a curve the flanges of the wagon wheels will rub against the the inner side of the rails, causing extra friction.

If you are using DCC maybe try adding an extra loco in the middle of the train?

@96RAF

I think you are pulling our legs (hence the Fast Show reference) and this is a tongue-in-cheek suggestion that might be tricky to achieve in reality. Unless you had a definite gap between the wagons at the point diametrically opposite the loco, you would have to complete the circle with just enough slack in the couplings between the two wagons at that point so that the loco was pulling one half of the wagons and pushing the other half. I also suspect that the loco supplied with the set wouldn't have enough grunt anyway.