Christmas Train Pulling Power

Andrew -371654

Sadly the nearest we get to having a layout is the annual deployment of Santa's Express around the Christmas tree. We've been adding a new wagon every year since our first child was born in 2015 so the train is getting quite large, sufficiently larger that last year we expanded the layout to 2nd and 3rd radius circles rather than the tight 1st radius that came with the original set.

Despite this, there is a strong possibility that "vigorous control" by said 1st born (and 2nd born) has burned out the motors on both the little tank engines.

Having been out of the hobby for 30 years I'm not clear on the "pulling power" of different locos. Would it be sufficient to replace the little tank engines or is there a better way forward? Is there a particularly powerful pulling loco that anybody could reccomend?

1st born is obsessed with Harry Potter but a Maroon Castle Class doesn't seem to be available for less than £300 and I'd prefer to avoid 2nd hand purchases and the minefield that comes with them. Ideally I'd like to get two locos to split the load, one on each circle with a total cost of not more than £200.

Any reccomendations please? Ideally something that will run at relatively slow speeds (on a timer) for 4-6 hours per day for about 6 weeks max per year. Do I just shell out for the Coca Cola set?

I would definitely agree with the Peckett, except it's got quite a lot of detailing on it.

It could depend on how controllable the 'little hooligans' are I suppose!!

A used 08 shunter - detailed versions - from either Hornby or Bachmann - have plenty of power, and a moderate speed (not fast) so could haul slowly for hours at low power.

Al.

Have you serviced (cleaned and lubricated) the locomotives? That might just save any further outlay, although I accept that over 150 hours running each Christmas for 8 years will have taken its toll on them. Replacement motors are available if you care to do some light 'engineering' at some stage but the axles may well have worn the plastic chassis, especially if the train is always run round the circle in the same direction. Another replacement loco also worth considering is R30039 at around £60 from retailers, a robust 6-wheel tank engine in a bright green livery now you have adopted 2nd & 3rd radius curves.

For reliability and longevity nothing can beat an old Hornby or Triang 0 6 0 such as an R1 or Jinty but such will only be available second hand and would require a transformer/controller with sufficient grunt. They are indestructible and will last for decades with a spot of oil every now and again.

"4 to 6 hours per day, for 6 weeks"

The maths bring us to:

168 hours to 252 hours of running time.

Given that the life expectancy of a modern can-type motor is ~150 hours of running time, the recommended locomotive should have 1) metal axles and bearings and 2) an easily replaceable motor.

Alternatively, the entire locomotive should be inexpensive enough to replace every year.

Bee

Thanks for the info and tips. I hadn't realised that the life expectancy of locos was as low as that so it's probably the effects of old age rather than the effects of the young ones!

I've done basic cleaning on the locos but not a proper service. Unfortunately I'm currently living in Italy and so not sure where to go to get help with proper servicing.

• 2 months later...