Hornby vacuum pipe magnetic couplings 17mm or 20mm?

pendeenpete

Getting the 17mm size as small Christmas gift, anyone used these for coaches?

My tightest curves are over radius 3 (flexible track),

I have a small rake of Hornby Collett coaches plus some Mk 1's etc.

Hornby's description is the same for both sizes regarding suitability, anyone used these without buffer lock?

Cheers

I've purchased 'close coupling' magnetic couplings in the past - Hunt - for other wagons, and they've been slightly too close, so purchased the next size up, and 'mix'n'matched' them, if/when very slightly too close (simply lever themselves uncoupled!!).

Hopefully somebody has direct experience and can answer, but you may need to 'experiment' a little.

Al.

So here is where I’ve made use of some the magnetic couplings.

1st picture is between Hornby mk1’s with the 20mm couplings. Goes through second radius no problems.

2nd picture is between Hornby mk1’s with the 17mm couplings. Buffer locks when going through 2nd radius reverse curves.

3rd picture (my personal favourite) is 20mm couplings between Bachmann mk1’s. Goes through second radius no problems.

4th picture is between on older Bachmann DMU with 17mm couplings. Goes through second radius no problems.

I’ve messed around with just about every type of coupling going, so if anyone wants to see any other combo’s, let me know and I’ll post them up.

forum_image_655f698344238.png.41de1b93f42146f2a781f207d9a3a2b8.pngforum_image_655f698621cd4.png.4705049a7d207e9a752f1cfbd7ea8041.pngforum_image_655f69888fa97.png.c76a49eaade3e11727c6217a962cbb7e.pngforum_image_655f698b326cd.png.1d0aa90c0428c78be247c51a931e3669.png

Just tried to fit 20mm couplings to my Bachmann Intercity MK2A coaches and they are far too short, at least 3-4mm in total. Back to the drawing board for me.

That’s interesting. So the pockets on the Bachmann MK2’s are set back even further than the MK1’s? Are you able to post a picture of this? Cheers.

One thing to bear in mind is that I've found if there's a momentary interruption of power, which swiftly returns, the sudden jerk of the power returning can uncouple magnetic couplings.

If not observed at the time, on a continuous 'loop' track, it could result in quite an accident!

Al.

In an attempt to get my Bachmann coaches on magnetic couplings I have contacted West Hill Wagon Works a week ago, to see if they have longer couplings, but so far no answer. Does anyone know of anywhere one can get NEM magnetic couplings longer than Hornby 20mm?

Yes the West Hill Wagon Works couplings are longer provided you get the ones which are specifically made for Bachmann coaches. You get a gap which is about the same as when you use the close coupling supplied by Bachmann. Not sure why the link implies it’s for HST power cars.

EDIT: There are pictures on the product page which suggest the overall coupling length is 22.8mm

https://westhillwagonworks.com/hunt-couplings-elite-oo/474-additional-pair-of-hst-powercar-buckeye-elite-couplings.html

I maybe raised this query too soon. I decided to put the micrometer on the 17mm and 20mm coupling that I got from Hornby and while the 17mm is actually 17mm, the 20mm is only 18.88mm. Has anyone else bought them and can you confirm if I did get a bodgie batch with the 20mm R7399?