Hornby Railroad (R30177) BR Intercity Class 43 HST Pack

Vincent-350301

Can anyone tell me how to replace the tyres on the locomotive of this pack? I can remove the case easily and I can drop the motor out of the chassis but I doubt I will ever be able to replace the tyres. Does the bogie separate from the motor so that I can get to the wheels?

Any help very gratefully received!

Vin

This is one of those jobs that can take a thousand words, and at least half of those could be misunderstood. A visual guide is more useful in this case. I would recommend searching on YouTube, there are many useful tutorials to keep your stock in good running order.

This is standard old Lima design, the power bogie frame clips over the driving wheels to hold them to the power unit, it clips on, so you can unclip it. if you look down behind each wheel you will see the clips. You have to be ever so careful as they will snap quite easily. You might be able to fit them in situ using very thin long nose pliers. Alternatively take off the body by unscrewing the 2 body screws (I don't know if the modern Railroad has them but there are holes for them in the chassis) then unclip the body. You will then be able to unclip the power bogie from the chassis. I recently rebuilt some Lima HSTs to fit the new Railroad chassis so I know a lot about how they go together.

• 1 month later...

First, may I thank ColinB, Simmo 009 and Going Spare for their help. Sorry it is a bit late but family illness got in the way.

I did eventually get the bogie off and managed to fit new Hornby tyres. It was certainly a learning curve!

I now have another problem in that the locomotive does not run quite as fast as it did when new and worse still, it nolonger runs smoothly seeming to momentarily lose power and judder a bit before picking up speed again. It does not matter whether I use DC witha blanking plate, DC with a Gaugemaster decoder or DCC with the decoder. I have heard people criticise the motor. Can anyone tell me if it would be easy to upgrade the motor? I don't think I can live with the presently poor performance of a fairly new locomotive.

Thanks again folks!

If you want a 5 pole motor then use one from the Pendolino they are relatively cheap and work well. I fit them to all my Railroad diesels. There is a slight issue with this motor though but it may be because they had a bad batch, hopefully gone now. On a couple of mine the magnets were not clipped in properly, so can easy check by spinning the motor by hand before you fit and check that is spins freely. I did take the motor apart and clip them in properly.

Seeing as you have replaced the traction tyres have you checked you haven't disturbed the pickups? If lets say the pickups on the non driven bogie weren't working you would get this sort of effect.

Hello ColinB and thank you for your reply to my request for information concerning the above locomotive. You mention the five pole motor from the pendlino so may I ask is it only the actual motor I would need (Part X9712) or the whole Drive unit (Part X9711)?

I have not ventured into these realms before so your help is very much appreciated.

Vin

You only need the motor, the drive unit unclips. The worm drive should be the same, so take the bogie apart unsolder the old motor wires and fit the new one. I use those motors in all my Railroad Diesels and steam locos. There is a YouTube video explaining how to do it but with yours it should be easier as you don't have to remove the worm drives. I think the motors from New Modellers are about £8 to £9, they might be cheaper from Lendons.