Loco slower on hm7000

sir john

Would any of this be that via a decoder the motor only sees a maximum of 12v but on DC with some controllers, it could be slightly more?

I spent a little time with a scale speed calculator to establish max realistic speeds and then adjusted CV5 to match that. I have a table of what throttle results in what speed. 🤓

I have been testing different decoders in the same locos for a while and yes some work a lot better than others. That is why I tend to use Zimo ones as I found them to be the most reliable and work with most motors. On a lot of my 0-6-0 locos when I convert them to DCC I have found some of the 6 pin varieties are terrible when applied to OO locos. I must admit the only issue I found with HM7000 was it has a tendency to reset itself on pieces of track where the DCC signal is not that great, other than that no real issues. The V2 software is a lot better at curing this but not perfect.

Possibly an explanation:

Using DC the max speed of the loco just depends on the applied voltage (ignoring PWM for simplicity) and is therefore limited by whatever maximum voltage the controller can deliver or whatever voltage causes the motor wiring to get too hot (and eventually burn out) - which ever of these two comes first ;)

Using DCC the decoder itself limits the maximum speed based on a CV value

Each decoder manufacturer sets the max speed (voltage) to a default value (and the default may not be 100% of the possible voltage for a given decoder model)

Similarly (and I haven't checked this point) but for the HM7000 decoders, Hornby may set a different, less than 100% default for each loco profile that you could apply to the decoder - this being done to make different classes of loco have realistic maximum speeds

Based on the above there is a good chance that unless you check and tweak the CV settings then a DCC fitted loco will have a slower max speed than the same loco running with a blanking plug fitted on DC

5Dublo2 & my comments relate to comparing the same loco with and without a decoder i.e comparing its DC running to its DCC running characteristics, which was the query raised in your original starting post. You have now moved the 'goal posts' by comparing one DCC Loco against another different DCC Loco. This is something completely different.

There will be a difference between locos speed because all motors run at slightly different speeds but it shouldn't be that much. The PWM from the HM7000 should be roughly the same at a particular setting as this will be determined by software. As I said before I would expect the loco to run at roughly the same speed on DC as DCC, I suppose there could be a difference in maximum voltage depending on the source. Most DC controllers are PWM based, but your DC controller may not drop as much voltage across its drivers as the HM7000 does. I only test on DC to check that the loco runs so most of my experience is between different types of DCC decoders. I may have missed it but have you tried swapping the decoders over and see if the difference in speed moves. On a totally difference subject I did find "stay alive" lasted longer on a Zimo decoder than a Train O Matic, so it does prove not all designs are the same and the difference was quite noticable.

I only test on dc then fit a decoder, I have 6 A1/3's lemberg is the only one that ran slower after fitting a decoder all the rest showed no conceivable difference when running in on dc and after fitting a decoder so paul I have not moved the goal posts as you suggested I was merely saying there was a marked difference with lemberg and the others when fitted with a decoder but no difference when run on dc

@Sir John have you tried moving the decoder to another loco to see if the fault moves. I recently had an issue with a Zimo decoder where the loco ran a lot slower. Replaced it with another one and it fixed the issue. The offending decoder was new when I fitted it but when I came to running the loco a year later it suddenly didn't run properly. These devices fail in many different ways.

Paul I understand what your saying but my A3 doncaster is much faster at 60 speed steps with a lenz decoder than lemberg with the same speed steps with the hm7000 decoder I'm just looking for a plausible explanation
John

You would have to investigate the speed curve settings and the values applied to CVs 2, 5 and 6. If the basic speed curve is in play then those CVs rule the roost, but if a complex speed curve has been invoked by CV29 then it’s anyone’s guess as to the curve settings. HM7K steamers use the complex speed curve to help regulate chuffs.

I am surprised that the testing team didn't do that test. It will be interesting to see if the same issue arises with the dongle when it eventually gets released. It could be that they have designed the product to work with the standard Hornby power supply driving the tracks, with no DCC controller in the way, whereas you are using a DCC controller, so the voltage will be slightly lower. I suspect you will get the same result using the Elite.