Model aircraft berth jig stand

Darcy Hogan1707819937

I made my own which was useless. Based on comments on this Forum I sourced a proper one. This was snaffled on arrival with the comment that I could only have after it had been wrapped in seasonal paper towards the end of the month.

Therefore I’m looking forward to seeing the experiences on this thread.

I made a sort of jig for my model ship builds. Two bolts in the wooden base fit into two nuts built into the ship's hull. Once the ship is ready for painting it goes onto the jig and never comes off again until it is 100% complete. It allows me to "handle" the model without actually touching it.

forum_image_656d10198e9aa.thumb.png.50e9d49178aac0f4d1bcb0c03c766935.png

forum_image_656d102440b97.thumb.png.8f4a2e0ad03de11183360db5660a00ed.png

It takes time for people to reply on this forum. All have varying pressures and things that need doing. Results will come as there are a large number of very experienced people making use of this forum.

Five replies in 13 hours. Think yourself lucky son. My last post has been on for over two weeks with just one comment!

Hi darcy im one of the 51 people who looked but since I've never looked at or used a jig i simply couldn't answer your question, people on here wont give you the wrong information just for fun, keep asking the questions if people have an answer they will help sometimes it just takes a bit of time to get an answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Darcy.

I know I’m a bit late replying to your post about jigs or building stands. I have one of the bigger stands like the one shown and initially found it very cumbersome especially for the smaller 1/72 models like WW1 & 2 fighters. I did use it on a twin engined model (Potez 63:II) and found it helped with painting the French 3 colour camouflage, and applying the decals but that was about all. The main problem I found was they’re a bit fiddly to set up correctly and as the model only just sits on top the model can move when least expected. The jig makers expect you to hold the model in place with rubber bands which I find can leave marks and the model can still move. Also, the whole contraption takes up a lot of space on what is usually a cramped or cluttered modelling bench. Also, they are useless for bi-planes.

What I have found useful for the smaller 1/72 models is an old 400- or 500-gram plastic jar, like a peanut butter jar, fill it with water, screw the lid on tightly, then mount your model onto the lid with blue-tack, sticky putty or something similar. This will hold the model quite firmly for most tasks you might do, I’ve even used it hold a WW1 model for rigging. If using this type of jig, it’s better to use before adding the undercarriage. I’ve even had a model mounted in this fashion for over a year sitting in the Cape Town sun, and it came off relatively easily without any damage to the paint work. See photo below:

forum_image_658c1a33c0b35.png.9eb7782379d8e666a9960265fdf1924b.png

Hope you find this useful and look forward to seeing some of your finished models.

Remember we do this for fun.                                John the Pom