TXS Sound Quality

Adrian-368897

I have recently gone over to the TXS sound chips.

have fitted and downloaded the following

class 50 sounds very realistic,along with the class 31.

both sound excellent.

Also have the class 37 and 47 but both of these sound a bit washed out, the 37 does not have the deep growling noise and the 47 also seems a bit lacking in depth.

Are there any recommendations as to which speaker you should use for each of these sound files, should the biggest speaker box be used if space is available.

Regards. Adrian

I would assume the bigger the speaker box the better the sound? Space is the limiting factor. I have a Class 66 which will take the biggest box supplied with the decoder and I think it sounds very good - the real thing runs past the bottom of the road regularly, so I think the sound compares very well. The problem with most steam loco's is that space is very limited even in the tender. I have in one case lengthened the speaker wires and placed the speaker in the smokebox - it would still only take the smallest speaker box.

There’s no doubt that upgrading the speaker, where space permits, is the way to go. I use a range of speakers from Roads & Rail and, when fitted, offer up a marked improvement in sound quality. As always, the issue is finding enough space. Diesels usually have sufficient voids to find somewhere to fit a bigger/better speaker, but of course steam locos present a harder challenge and a bit of innovation and experimentation is needed to create the necessary space.