Selling a TXS fitted Loco

Train Mad1707822774

Hello.

I intend to put a Loco on ebay which has a TXS sound decoder fitted. I've looked through the forum and also the documentation and have come to the conclusion that I mustn't be as clever as I thought I was.

I think I need to unlink the decoder from my app and provide the buyer with the decoder reset passcode provided by Hornby when I first installed it. I think the buyer would then be able to use it on DCC or Bluetooth. Is that correct or have I missed something on the way.

By the way I did think of removing the decoder and selling the Loco as DCC ready but I think I'll lose less by leaving the decoder in the Loco.

Thank you for any help given.

Why would you want to do that? A study of prices on EBay highlights that DCC fitted locos are generally harder to shift and don't fetch a price that reflects the addition of the extra electronics. You are far better off replacing the DCC/HM7000 decoder with a DC header and either selling the DCC/HM7000 separate or keeping it for another loco. Generally studying the prices on EBay and from personal experience it is easier to shift a loco with no decoder fitted. I suppose this is the point where that socket you fitted rather than hard wiring the decoder pays dividends. I think you will lose less by selling the loco and decoder separately, but then that is entirely my opinion.

I have a Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley in green but I managed to get a blue one which came just before Christmas. I want to keep the blue one as I rode behind it in that colour in 1997.

I have been looking on ebay and there are quite a few green ones for sale, I just thought it would make it stand out and sell quicker.

You've got me thinking now. I suppose I could remove the decoder and put it in the blue one it would save me having to buy another . Thanks for the advice I'll have to give it a bit more thought.

I think ebay will probably be doing their 80% off sellers fees this weekend so I intend to list it then.

I have the green one and the blue one, I know, I got carried away with the preorders. I think you will find the green one has an 8 pin the blue one has a 21 pin. I get the opinion I am unusual in that I run my HD locos, most of the original ones were bought by collectors so having DCC fitted is probably not much use. Just do your research as to prices, generally though I have found the DC versions seem to fetch more as an item. Obviously the DCC fitted ones will fetch more because of the decoder but not that much more and most people if they are buying sound want Zimo or LokSound. Once you take off the price of your sound decoder you usually find that you are selling the loco for a lot less. I didn't even realise that people were selling their green HD Sir Nigel Gresleys, they were sold out when they first appeared.

I didn't even realise that people were selling their green HD Sir Nigel Gresleys, they were sold out when they first appeared.

@ ColinB - The green HD SNG's have asking prices in the £350/£450 range. There are two or three on ebay.

I know, I checked after I wrote the post. I think I paid about £280 to £290 for mine, retail price was about £320, so all of them are being sold at a profit. I just assumed the way the post was written that they were being sold at less than what I paid.

That's interesting I thought the blue one would have an 8 pin same as the green one. I do have a 21 pin TXS sound decoder still in the box that I bought a while back, I will fit that in the blue one, fingers crossed.

I still am undecided what to do about the green one, I do know some of them have been on ebay for quite a long time. If I was to get £350 I would be more than happy even with the decoder fitted. I think the Loco and decoder together cost about £385 but I got 15% in Hornby rewards which means it really cost me about £330. I'm not after a profit but it would be nice to get what it cost me.

I think I'll probably leave the decoder in it mainly because I find handling these Loco's to be a very traumatic experience and wouldn't want to risk damaging it. I did manage to fit the decoder myself successfully but can't remember how I did it, I'll have to do a bit more reading up.

This one is pretty easy to remove, one screw under the NEM coupling, obviously after removing the NEM coupling. The only risk is the NEM coupling so be careful as you lever it off. The loco and tender should pull away easily as it has the new coupling. I have just done mine to check whether I had put a decoder in it. I did to test it but eventually I will put a Zimo sound decoder in it.

It's encouraging to find it's an easy job to remove the tender top, it's only a couple of months or so since I fitted the decoder in the green one but I honestly can't remember doing it.

The blue one is still in the box I haven't opened it yet. I'll open it and have a go at fitting the decoder later this week.

Thanks again and happy new year.

I thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on. I've had the tender top off and it was easy as Colin said.

I have tried an iphone speaker but it's too big I also tried a very slim megabass speaker but that won't fit either. I remember when I fitted the decoder to the green one I fitted the second smallest cube speaker, I think I might be able to fit the bigger one which is the biggest of the three cubes on the sprue.

I dont want to take the top off the green one so I looked at a previous post that I put on about fitting the speaker and found I had fitted the speaker facing up. Is that correct? Thanks again

Hello again. Before I try out the blue Loco I thought I'd unlink the green one ready to sell, I've been reading up and just want to check that my understanding is correct.

When I unlink and delete the Loco from the app I believe it resets all the cv settings including the Loco address but leaves the sound alone.

By the way the speakers I tried are from Roads and Rails, it's probably me I'm petrified of damaging my new Loco. I did manage to fit the larger cube on its side, don't know yet what it sounds like.

One other thing when I set up the green loco using bluetooth it didn't set the address that I had chosen, I had to do that using normal DCC, is that normal? Thanks again sorry to be a pain.

Hello again.

I've not touched the loco since fitting the decoder the other night. I got it up and running today and it really sounds good much better than the green one..

I noticed two things with my new blue Loco firstly the green one has a vacuum pipe on the front this one hasn't and I don't think I've knocked it off, there is a review of the blue one on you tube and that's not got the pipe on the front either so maybe it doesn't have it.

The second problem which I'm more bothered about is the lining on the tender has a small gap where it looks like the paint ran out it's a bit of a disappointment after the green one which was perfect.

I've messaged Hornby but don't know if they can or will do anything I don't want to return the Loco.

By the way I've decided to keep the green one it's exquisite.