Hattons to close (now closed).

96RAF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a quick look at my private emails and seen the same - very sad as this is effectively the source of my model railways enthusiasm - when at their original shop on Smithdown Road, a few miles from where I lived at the time.

Al.

Sign of the times. Companies can go too big, fine during the good times, but bad times can come along and can wipe you out. Better to stay small and lean and ride the storm.

It's very tough out there right now, every penny is being battled over by retailers big and small, the fittest will survive.

Didn’t they just buy MB Klein in America?

Doesn’t seem very well planned despite them saying it’ll be orderly. Rails of Sheffield will probably benefit most of all.

Who are we to know who might be in a similar position?? It's tough out there for many businesses.

I did wonder how long they would last, the damage the tier system did to them was probably difficult to recover from. If like me you used get all your preorders from them and then you got all the mails saying that they couldn't meet the obligation because Hornby wouldn't supply them with enough models. Even now that they are beginning to get models from Hornby again that loss of confidence from the public is extremely difficult to recover from. Of course they had lost the Bachmann franchise earlier.

Thanks Hornby for killing off them off. I wonder what happens to all those Genesis coaches that were pre ordered.

I didn't get the email but I have just scanned their site and yes they promise to fulfill existing orders but surely that depends on how long it will take them to close. Very sad news after they got dropped off the tier system I haven't bought that much from them except their own brands, class 66s and Genesis coaches, but still sad to see them go. I don't see how Hornby's point system is better than the 10% discount we got previously, I thought we proved earlier that it was not such a good deal.

Doubt it was Hornby's fault for killing them off. With just about every model shop struggling with big discounted sales much more likely to be the customers of lack of them. Seen many places with sales with discounts where items would have been snapped up even this time last year and nothing is shifting. Several shops selling MK4 and MK3 coaches for less than £25 and they still have plenty in stock. Doubt Hattons will be the last, just depends on how long this goes on for.

The 10% CC discount used to be just a few quid shy of what Hattons prices were, which I why I always bought from Hattons. Now with the 15% CC money back system, it works out better, and sadly have to admit that I haven’t bought from Hattons in a while. I’ve gotten close to £1.2k worth of “free” locos on the Rewards Points system.

It does unfortunately feel like this probably had a part to play in Hattons demise.

Colin, on the Hattons website, the FAQ has been updated to reflect today’s announcement. It goes into more detail regarding situation with various products and manufacturers as they know now and refers customers to alternative suppliers when appropriate.

I know Rallymatt after someone picked me up for not reading an EMail I didn't receive, I went back to their website and read all the entries. I must admit the Genesis coaches aren't that important, not compared to someone losing their job. I was hoping they would make some of them in Caledonian colours but obviously that is never going to happen now.

Perhaps they have been thinking about this for a while, they did offload their class 66 design to Accurscale, but who knows.

I had quite a few items on pre order with them (most were on pre order for 6+months) but I guess I won’t see them being fulfilled now. I just checked other shops/manufacturers for the same things and some have pre orders for same items and were sold out, so I doubt I can get some of them. I am pretty annoyed by this.

re SP's concern, I understand if you send evidence of your preorder to another retailer, manufacturer, they will re allocate your Hatton's preorder either to an alternative retailer or the manufacturer will fill the order

Apart from concern at the people who have lost their livelihood, I am also disappointed that easily accessible reference on model tooling and detailing will be lost

Apart from concern at the people who have lost their livelihood, I am also disappointed that easily accessible reference on model tooling and detailing will be lost

All the more reason to support the wayback machine and internet archive in general https://web.archive.org/ or download the PDFs from Hattons whilst they're still there.

A lot of customers in their late 50's, age is catching up with them, not enough young blood coming through.

There are far too many new models chasing too few customers, too many rival big box moving operations and competition from the manufacturers themselves, high prices of new models, a deep recession, overseas production delays, high business rates, high taxes, high utility and insurance costs, high staffing costs.

Put it altogether and you have The perfect storm.

Companies that have expanded in good times are fighting for survival, keeping lean and small is key in today's market place. Interestingly Tri-ang faced a worldwide toy market collapse in 1970. Unlike Tri-ang, Hattons is viable, but sensibly seem to be getting out whilst the going is good.

I have now cancelled all my pre-orders at Hattons, and have created new pre-orders for same things at Rails of Sheffield and Hornby. That will cost me a little bit more than my Hattons original pre-order prices, and I won’t get that time back cancelling and reordering everything elsewhere. Feel sorry for employees impacted by this decision.

I predicted this to my wife 18 months back. Every visit and no customers. The problem now lies with prices and peoples pockets. Mine is no longer big enough to fork out such vast amounts. I bought 2 Bachmann Royal Mail special club offers and a Hornby Turbomotive last year. I am sure there are many like me who have pulled the pursed strings closed. Watch out now for others to fall by the wayside including the big makers leaving just a few smaller brands struggling to survive. £289 for a loco ????? that is in fantasy land.

Not "fantasy land" Vespa - it's life. Everything is now more expensive - I have just bought a Hornby loco for £320 - yes it is a lot compared with what I might have paid ten years ago, but it was a one off. If you want something, you save for it.

I would think that the profit margins on many items produced today are very small.