B 24 J Liberator

jopres57

The shortly to be released 1/72 Liberator H is very good news and I'll be certain to buy at least one. Its predecessor , the J version, dates from 1963 and has had a lot of stick from people claiming it is toy-like and inaccurate. It obviously isn't the best of kits compared to todays offerings, but it was a welcome addition back in the day and still doesn't look too bad with a coat of paint and some colourful markings. This is one that I built some time ago and has decals from a Superscale sheet.

There must still be a few of these in the stashes of plastic kit fans so its probably a good idea not to write them off completely.

forum_image_659f4abea476a.thumb.png.25b01d9d919b1a4fd4a6aa2c747c6139.png

forum_image_659f4ac4d9d18.thumb.png.e8a56a645867b4916d3839e8dee497f8.png

forum_image_659f4acaa72e1.thumb.png.e83614e6535717fe9df22ede05fb0cfe.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments. If this new Liberator kit lasts for over sixty years as well it won't do too badly.

After building the old version I can believe it had the most working parts. Bits and pieces that moved were a big selling point back in the day. Most people didn't seem to care then that there often wasn't much distinction between toys and models.

SSGT Sarkis Bartigian must be smiling somewhere :-)

The real "Dragon" had the cylindrical Emerson bow turret, but a nice Lib nonetheless. SSGT Bartigian was a professional artist, and he painted at least five B-24s of his unit: "The Dragon and His Tail", "Michigan", "Cocktail Hour", "It Ain't So Funny" and "Mabel's Labels". Does anyone know any others? http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/images/planes/bartigian-dragon-bw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent ๐Ÿ‘Œย 

I love the B-24 and found the old Airfix kit to be good enough example, especially considering how finicky us scale modellers have grown in recent times! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hereโ€™s my attempt from 2011. Iโ€™m not sure what happened to the white tail stripes, I can only guess the decals ended up in the floor ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_0607.jpeg

• Like 4