how many hm7000 sound locos can be run on the 7337 system

kered43

How many hm7000 sound locos can be run at any one time on the 7337 system ? My prodigy 2 has given up the ghost and rather than pay for another and run 2 systems ie (prodigy and the app) i,m thinking of just using a 7337 as all my locos are being converted to the hm7000. I intend to run no more than 7 locos at 1 time but there will be other locos sound running ie in the stalls at the 2 turntables and some in sidings. Just wondering if the 4 amps will be sufficiant.

many thanks.

The amount of current a loco with lights on and sound idling but stationary will be minimal compared to a loco motor hauling a heavy load.

So 7 running locos with several more idle but stationary should be within the capability of a 4 Amp supply, providing the running locos themselves are not really old non 'DCC Ready' hard wired conversions that tend to draw more current than modern locos.

The 4-amp unit will run up to around 10-12 locos depending upon total current draw. Remember not all if any locos will be pulling the maximum current.

The unit provides (or tries to provide) constant power (W=V*I). Watts is often written as Volt Amps (VA), and although they are not actually the same, they are for the purposes of this discussion.

If the current draw is increased above rated output then the voltage will drop to compensate. If the voltage gets below the working threshold for the decoders they will drop out. This quest to provide constant power will continue until the internal protection kicks in and the unit trips via its self resetting 'fuse'.

Edited for clarity of W vs VA.

Actually to be pedantic it is all to do with power factor angle, VA is the volts times amps but power is the volts times the in phase amps. If you are using motors the inductive effect can make a difference to the in phase amps as the current is not always in phase. A typical loco takes between 200 and 400 milliamps so 96RAF is right.

To hopefully help with the OP’s question - as Rob says, the 4 amp supply will be more than enough for around a dozen locos, maybe more if they are just burbling away in the sidings.

However, there is another issue that may occur.

I have found that having more than 5 or 6 locos set to ‘active’ on the app can start to slow down the button response times on the app. This is, I suspect, more to do with my tablet rather than the app as it has not been reported or replicated by other users.

I just have to remember to set my chosen locos to active status before a session and inactive if they are not being used.

I believe that the development team intends to automate the changing of status at some time in the future.