New Hornby 8F.

ColinB

I think they must have already changed the website spec as it says 'Tender mounted 21 socket'. I'm sure until recently it was listed as 8 pin. I've just this morning had notification that my pre-order has arrived and is being prepared for dispatch sunglassesheart_eyes.

I’ve had several pre-orders that had been originally listed as 8-pin that then went to 21-pin. The 21-pin design is a far superior one to that of the 8-pin, in my opinion.

This must have been no small feat on Hornby’s behalf to modify so many locos during production.

I have the two new models on the way. Is there any way from the models themselves we could tell if the tooling was new?

Actually DarkRedCape the 21 pin is much easier circuit board to solder to. You can buy some of them as spare parts ( I fitted one in a loco I converted), it is a easier task to fit. It fits on the same posts as the 8 pin variety, so basically it is just a change of part and documentation which obviously they are only just getting round to.

So has it got firebox flicker?

Actually DarkRedCape the 21 pin is much easier circuit board to solder to. You can buy some of them as spare parts ( I fitted one in a loco I converted), it is a easier task to fit. It fits on the same posts as the 8 pin variety, so basically it is just a change of part and documentation which obviously they are only just getting round to.
So has it got firebox flicker?

I can confirm it has no firebox flicker (that was a disappointment)

I asked the same question on RMWeb, same old design. I assume they has moved decoder to tender with 4 pin connector and made the pickups pickup from both wheels rather than use the chassis. Someone even said that it doesn't have NEM pockets which I find difficult to believe. So basically a very old design.

I can confirm that it has an NEM pocket and coupling on the tender and none on the front. But why would you want a coupling on the front of such a loco. There is, however a spare coupling in the accessory pack with a fitting I've never seen before but I can't see where it would go.

48151 is often double headed on heritage runs with either Jubilees or Fives.

I'm not a fan of front steamie couplings, but there is justification.

If it's running on a heritage line, it'll often be on the 'return run', tender first hauling the carriages.

Al.

Somehow, Hornby have gone back in time, and replaced the separate smoke box fittings of the last run with integral mouldings as per the models from last century. I understand this was highlighted to Hornby staff at a well know Yorkshire model shop today with all 3 ages next to each other. I believe there was what is known as an awkward silence.

Do you know I started this post to see if the model was worth buying and whether it was worth the incredibly inflated price. I also started the same thread on RMWeb. It appears this is a major production mess up by Hornby regressing to parts from a Railroad model. So it appears it isn't worth buying at the current price and even at half price the decision is questionable but I suppose we will see. I was looking at my one yesterday (it is DCC ready but quite old) and I noticed a very large square hole in the cab where on the really old versions it has firebox glow (with a bulb I imagine). Does anyone know if Hornby removed this on the later versions and this latest one.

34 minutes ago, Simmo009 said:

I don’t think they have firebox glow

No they don't, I know that, but did they remove the square hole in the cab for it, say from R3565. My one R2249 still had the hole from when they did fit years ago. I suspect it was a bulb in those days. 

9 minutes ago, LesXRN-344592 said:

Hi Colin. I also have R2249 as well as R2395A, a weathered 48062. They both have the firebox hole in them. Should be easy for fitting a glow. They both have separate smokebox darts too.

I know, I did exactly that to mine yesterday. It was really useful as it has a slot behind it to fit the PCB. What I was asking was whether the latest one they are selling had the same. It is an incredibly expensive model so I was just wondering if they had covered the hole up because it does look a bit unsightly. Now if you are going to fit smokebox glow then perhaps it is ok, but it really is too big. My model is old so it didn't matter.

I didn't find it that expensive really, no more so than other locos of a similar size and probably cheaper than some. I paid £225 for mine including a 10% club discount, (I got that and reward points before my previous membership expired).

11 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I know, I did exactly that to mine yesterday. It was really useful as it has a slot behind it to fit the PCB. What I was asking was whether the latest one they are selling had the same. It is an incredibly expensive model so I was just wondering if they had covered the hole up because it does look a bit unsightly. Now if you are going to fit smokebox glow then perhaps it is ok, but it really is too big. My model is old so it didn't matter.

It might be a pfaff, but a bit of card inside the firebox with a slim vertical slot, i.e; firebox doors slightly open, would work better for the glow.

11 minutes ago, LesXRN-344592 said:

It might be a pfaff, but a bit of card inside the firebox with a slim vertical slot, i.e; firebox doors slightly open, would work better for the glow.

Thank you I had not thought of doing that.

19 minutes ago, Brew Man said:

I didn't find it that expensive really, no more so than other locos of a similar size and probably cheaper than some. I paid £225 for mine including a 10% club discount, (I got that and reward points before my previous membership expired).

Great so you have one, so does it have the big square hole where the firebox doors would normally be.