Class 390 pendolino motor issue

Hi all,

I recently aquired a class 390 pendolino that was previously owned by someone who quite possibly dosen't know how to oil their locos, as when I try to run it at speed, it keeps stoping, yes the rails are clean and yes the wheels are clean. It seems as though there is so much oil built up inside the motor that it is stopping conductivity, can anyone please suggest a way to fix this issue as I don't want to have to get a new motor or power car.

Tom

Hi

The issue is its a sealed motor, with no way of checking on the state of the motor. It could be that the motor could be starting to fail, most modern motors are only fit for about 150 hours running time, a new motor / motor bogie maybe the only option.

It seems to have lost my original post. I use these motors in a lot of my old Railroad locos, a simple upgrade for the 3 pole ones. You can take them apart I have done it a couple of times. On the ones I bought there was an issue where the clip that holds the pole pieces on fell off. This may well be the issue. Once this clip has unclipped itself it jams the motors occasionally. It is worth a try what have you got to lose, if it fails buy a new one.

I have decided to purchase a new motor bogie from new modelers, since I think the cutting out of the motor seems like it is caused by the DCC chip detecting an overload on the motor when running at full whack, I only know this because this issue has already burnt out a few of my 8 pin chips. The current motor in the loco is the original one that has been going since the previous owner had the set back in 2008, 15 years of constant high speed running is a long time for a motor like that, so I can see exactly why its now starting to fail, what with the brushes wearing down, and the internal arcing due to this.

Tom