Drawbar causing stall

Singer33

Have searched but unable to find anyone else with this problem.

I found Sound Fitted Trigo to be very jumpy starting, so I took the body off, it performed fine without the body, but as soon as I put the body on again the problem came back.

Then, through trial and error, I have discovered that when the screw to the loco end of the drawbar is in, the loco stalls either from the start or if it gets going, at the first corner.

If I remove the screw, the loco very happily travels the layout pulling the tender behind by the wires.

Anyone else had this issue and are there any fixes?

Seems to be a new problem, and so far a one-off. So sorry, I don’t have a fix. 

When there’s a solution, it should be added to the fixes in the top sticky thread where so far, the only problem with the draw bar is the screw falling out. 

Is the drawbar perfectly straight?

If twisted/bent/deformed in any way that would cause running issues.

(Although not previously noted in TT:120 models - such issues have occasionally been reported for OO models.)

Is this a mechanical issue, the articulation in the drawbar link preventing the loco and tender running smoothly OR an electrical fault where the fixing screw is pinching part of the wiring harness between the loco and tender causing a fluctuation in the signal between the decoder and the motor? 

55 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Is this a mechanical issue, the articulation in the drawbar link preventing the loco and tender running smoothly OR an electrical fault where the fixing screw is pinching part of the wiring harness between the loco and tender causing a fluctuation in the signal between the decoder and the motor? 

GMD/LTSR_NSE , the drawbar seems to work normally and I can't see any deformations etc.

Rallymatt, I don't know and I'm not sure how best to diagnose. My intuition tells me that it is electrical as it sometimes stalls on a straight, but, it always stalls when it gets to a corner

Edited by Singer33
Spelling

First thing I would be tempted to check is that the small white connector into tender is fully home and then with pointed tweezers or similar, make sure the gold coloured pins inside the plastic block are fully seated. I had a slightly loose one on Silver King way back last year, this has just reminded me. It had a stutter every now and then. As long as the 4 link wires are free of the locating screws on the draw bar, you shouldn’t have a trapped wire, just tease them away gently with tweezers just to check 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:37 AM, Rallymatt said:

First thing I would be tempted to check is that the small white connector into tender is fully home and then with pointed tweezers or similar, make sure the gold coloured pins inside the plastic block are fully seated. I had a slightly loose one on Silver King way back last year, this has just reminded me. It had a stutter every now and then. As long as the 4 link wires are free of the locating screws on the draw bar, you shouldn’t have a trapped wire, just tease them away gently with tweezers just to check 

I've taken it apart, put together again and it does seem to work.

Unfortunately the loco has now developed a derailing problem in 2nd R curves along with stablemate Night Hawk. 

Most frustrating having to mess about with models marketed as ready to run.

Odd it’s ’developed’ a derailing issue, maybe something not gone back together quite right. The derailing is an easy fix though. Are you on Hornby or Peco track? Some of the issues are a consequence of ‘finer scale’ track, it doesn’t like out of tolerance gauge and alignment wheel sets etc. it’s worth working it out and ultimately getting superb running and understanding how that’s achieved. You can always speak to Hornby too if that’s not for you. 

The derailing is the front bogie and it takes place on Hornby set track curves. As soon as it reaches the curve it lifts off the track.

This behaviour is identical for both locos (Night Hawk has not been taken apart although it has at some point lost a drawbar screw).

Sadly it has been an issue, good series of fixes listed at top of section. Make sure bogie bracket is fixed and aligned properly and another one I have added to my others is run a drill bit through the bogie casting and make sure there are no burrs and a tiny drop of lube. 👍