R8249 Decoder - cannot read CV's

RMRED

Posted (edited)

Controller is Hornby Elite.

When trying to read CV's from my R8249 decoder I get the value "XXX" instead of the CV value. The Elite manual says to check the decoder instructions. But the decoder insruction sheet doesn't give a clue!

How can I read the CV values?

Thanks - Richard

Addendum: I'm using Direct mode.

Edited by RMRED

You can only read back on a programming track connected to the Elite PROG terminals and only those CVs supported by the R8249 which is very few.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Wel, it gets more interesting ....

For the R8249 I can read CV's 1, 3, 4, 7, 8 OK but CV's 2, 5, 6 give the XXX readback!

Looking at the R8249 decoder sheet CV's 2, 5, and 6 aren't listed so 96RAF has hit the nail on the head - its bonkers not having these available.  Shame I didn't know before I bought it, simply didn't occur that what are, to my mind, basic settings aren't available.

I have another 2 locos, each fitted with Dapol imperium decoders and can read the CV's off those with no issues.

It runs differently with the decoder fitted as well - on DC  it runs smoothly at all sppeds, from very slow through far too fast! With the dCC chip in though, it still creeps well enough, but at a slow running speed its not constant, makeit go a bit faster and its as smooth as anything.  But I prefer the slower speeds.

So if anyone knows of a decoder that works a bit better for my  R2980 County of Radnor 1908 Olympics set I'd be very interested.

Edited by RMRED
Additional info