Fairey Rotodyne

Ratch

I scratched some small blade antennas and probe copying the best pictures I could find. 

53737269410_9a315a3d85_z.jpg

I’m not altogether sure whether they are accurate, but I think they just add a little bit to the build, and I can call it done.

53736847091_0c7299d617_c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Although the Rotodyne was a promising concept and successful in trials, intended for commercial and military uses, the programme was eventually cancelled. The termination has been attributed to the type failing to attract any commercial orders; this was in part due to concerns over the high levels of rotor tip jet noise generated in flight. Politics had also played a role in the lack of orders. The project was government funded, which ultimately doomed the project.

I've read in a couple of places that the tip jet noise was a red herring thrown in by interested parties who wanted to kill the project and that the Rotodyne was no noisier than you would expect from a helicopter of similar size. It was at the time when the aerospace industry in the UK was being 'rationalised' and different companies were being given different portfolios and Westland had been given a nudge and a wink that they would have an exclusive on rotary winged aircraft if they gave up their fixed wing ambitions. 

• Sad 1

Westland acquired Fairey in 1960 and allowed development to continue until government funding dried up. By that time Westland was already heavily involved in other helicopter projects, mostly licence building Sikorsky designs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Would be forward of the nose or protruding form the tail like many aircraft eg AEW Nimrod. Due to the main rotor interacting with magnetic waves, they would never locate it above the fuselage. Check out the Sikorsky HR2S-1W for inspiration:

undefined 

Edited by Marto
  • Like 1

Sorry for the hijack of the post Ratch, but this AEW route is interesting. 
Given the ‘what if’ needs to be a product of the time, the swivel arm would not have been an option. 
Front & rear radomes could well be an option (as per the Nimrod 4). 
I still think British industry would make a dorsal radome work, especially as there was limited ventral clearance. That said, the modelling of a dorsal radome would be easier. It’s ’what if’ after all ….

Regarding the noise, on a few occasions the machine flew low over my school having taken off from the nearby Fairey factory (Haynes, Middlesex), the noise was no “red herring”. Its screech was sufficient to cause the teachers to stop talking. But then most other aircraft were piston engined props, so I suppose compared to them it was noisy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S2000 said:

the noise was no “red herring”

From a BBC article:

The noise issue came to the fore again, and has been cited as the reason for the cancellation of the project. Although there was no denying the Rotodyne was noisy, its critics largely ignored the facts. Development had continued throughout, and Fairey had reduced the decibel level to 96 db at a distance of 600ft. At the time of cancellation, further modifications were in hand that would have reduced it further into the 80s db. Coupled with this, techniques were developed, involving vertical take-off and steep approaches during landings, which reduced the noise footprint while the rotor was under power. In fact, once in forward flight, the Rotodyne was quieter than contemporary jet aircraft or helicopters.

As a comparison the daytime limit for Heathrow is 94 db, but technologies have changed an awful lot since 1960.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...