Identify a loco

Hi all 

I know there will be a knowledgeable person out there who can identify the loco in the image.  I know it is a Flying Scotsman but the valve gear needs sorting out and I can't find any reference to its R number to track down replacements.  Any help will be gratefully received. 

Regards

Paul

20240526_131640.jpg

I would say this is either R2675 or the loco from set R1072.  Service Sheets 315B & 316 give the valvegear assembly as pack X9820 but this pack looks to be hard to source from the principal suppliers or Hornby themselves so others may be able to suggest an alternative they have used.

Posted (edited)

Going by that photo it looks like maybe all you need is the screw or hex bolt which retains the connecting rod and eccentric crank?    Is the other side ok - that should tell you what screw you need?

Edited by ntpntpntp

Posted (edited)

I agree with "GoingSpare" that this Hornby R2675.

Please see Hornby own version of installing Decoder to Hornby R2675, only difference is, Hornby have done direct installation or hard wired the decoder, your model looks like someone have installed or hard wired 8 pin socket. Then fitted the decoder.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016347580-R2675-RailRoad-Flying-Scotsman

mceclip1.pngFrom Hornby website

mceclip8.pngFrom Hornby Website

Edited by Deem

Posted (edited)

It is a standard Railroad Flying Scotsman. I think the original valve gear is out of stock the part number is X9820. The Railroad valve gear is more rugged, what you can do is replace it with the more detailed valve gear as long as you replace the cylinder block as well., the part numbers are X9382 and X9557 respectively. Doing a quick web search you still seem to be able to get these parts.

Just looking at you photo again, to fix the valve gear you only need the little screw that has fallen out. I don't think Hornby sell them separately but perhaps they will send you one if you phone Customer Services.

It is also a late version of the Railroad Flying Scotsman as it has the cast pony truck integral with the chassis as opposed to the plastic one you screw on. I have built many of these from bits so I know them quite well.

Edited by ColinB

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add, I've found the little Hex head screws for the valve gear pretty generic among Hornby models, so look on ebay and compare what you see with the remaining one on the other side. I think the difference to be in the depth of the shoulder if it has one.

Is it possible "81F' you can share ebay item link or item number? I do need few of those to keep them spare, so as and I do service I loose (I must have butterfingers) these quite often and can't find them, I have already wasted one valve gear set I had bought from Lendons of Cardiff and if I can get these screw, I can save that valve gear set.

• 2 weeks later...